Unusually Irritable?

Heylo, POTSies! I've noticed being really easily irritated lately. I'm not usually the ind of person who blows up at every little thing, but I've noticed being more and more easily unhinged for a while now, and it's getting frustrating. I can't seem to control myself! Before anyone asks, no. It doesn't seem related to "that time of the month" or anything. Does anyone else on here get this? Is it related to the POTS, am I just going through a phase, or what? Any tips and help would be much appreciated.

I have had many mood swings since I got sick. At first I attributed them to the frustration of not knowing what was wrong with me, but I continued to get them after my diagnosis. My doctors kept prescribing antidepressants but they didn't help. Most of them did nothing, some just made me feel like a zombie. I eventually realized I had a hormonal imbalance, based upon symptoms and relief after hormone replacement. I am now taking birth control pills continuously and my mood has stabilized completely and other related symptoms such as oily skin improved as well. It may not be the cause of your irritability, but it is worth looking into if you haven't already.

When I first got sick that was a symptom I had a really hard time with....there was normal Katie and my evil twin Katie. It would come out of no where and I would snap at people before I even knew what I was doing. I actually started a thread on it about 3 years ago. Many people responded that they suffered the same odd personality change. We conjectured at the time that it was likely cerebral perfusion....low oxygen in the brain at times...just like an attack of hypoglycemia can make you evil until you get your sugar up. Again, we were just guessing. I will say that acknowledging this symptom and talking about it on this forum actually helped me learn to be more mindful of it and get control of it a little better. I'm not perfect with it but I'm lots better than I was.

Have you had your dopamine or glutamate levels in the brain checked? High levels will make you irritable. GABA is calming. Here is an article that might be helpful.

http://www.rlcure.com/glutamate2.html

Yes. It's normal. It's probably because we are tired of being tired all the time. I also realized that for me eating things with fake sugar like non fat yogurt makes me cranky or having a lot of sugar like a donut makes me cranky.