Daughter Won't Go To School

JuneFlower

June, you are in a tough spot. Leading with tough love and gentle love. Tough one to balance.

I have to feel for young people with this stuff. I can make my choices and do as I see fit. If I decide a doctor is not that doctor, I can find another. Though I am sometimes miserable, I do not have to listen while I am. I think that would be a tough spot for a teenager. Not easy to be a teenager or a parent of a teenager without this, much less with this.

Hi June,

As a parent, you want to do what's best for your child. Before my son went to Oklahoma K-12 Virtual School online, he was on a home bound school situation his 5th grade year. The teacher came out for 3 hours a week and came when Tyler was only feeling up to work. At that time I was still working full time as a school teacher and my mother stayed with him. The next school year I quite my full time teaching job because it was neccessary. My husband and I made the decision for Tyler to go to school online because we did not feel like the home bound situation was a quality education.

Tyler would have loved to have been able to go to school part time but his fatigue, headache, and pain issues would not allow this. However, since an immune issue is present, public school is not in the picture at all right now. Hopefully you can find a school situation that will work for your daughter. Tyler is not happy about going to virtual school but knows this is the only possible way to get his eduction. Tyler does get to talk to his teachers and peers during online class sessions, The school has K-12 outings and online clubs every month that students and families can attend. Your daughter can still have socialization time while attending K-12 online schools. Both my sons attend a public K-12 school online and it is tution free. You just need the internet and computer It is an adjustment for parents and students but it has been a lifesaver for our family situation. School lessons can be done anytime of the day. You have a very flexable schedule and it makes it much easier to get to doctors appointments and physical therapy.