Does Anyone Else Burp A Lot?

Alison

I do, too. Definitely burp like a sailor! Burping really helps get the air/gas up, but most of the time, the burp won't come up. This causes A LOT of bloating and pressure. I've been to many gi doctors and none were a help. Going gluten free got rid of it for about a year, but it's been back now for 6 months and gets really severe at times.

I don't know what causes it, other than I believe it could be bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine. I used to have a gi doctor that would give me a prescription to clear it up, and it did help. Now, my gi doctor thinks it is "just" IBS. I don't believe in the term IBS...to me, it is just a term given because they don't know what is causing the problem.

Hi, Yes when i am not too well and especially when i have chest pain i burp a lot and it feels like a real release of pressure. i was aware of this before i even had a diagnosis and my husband always says when he hears me burp that i am starting to feel better - it always comes at the end of a bad bout. And it is loud and explosive. But it is definitely part of the pots.

Ohhhh my goodness, explosive burps! Yes. I could knock windows out, shatter glass.

I have GERD (acid reflux), and I assumed it was related to that.

But it's related to POTS?

Then again, gastro issues are related to POTS, so maybe it isn't necessarily related to POTS directly but to the gastro issues by way of POTS, by way of messed up autonomic systems.

But anyway, yes. Burps.

In fact, I'm having an endoscopy/colonoscopy Thursday due to gastric issues. My gastroenterologist threw IBS, Crohn's and Celiac out there as possibilities.

Belching/burping was a real problem for me for a long time. I've done a ton of research and it seems the two most common causes are acid reflux and gall bladder dysfunction followed by gastroparesis. Lucky me it turns out I have both gall bladder dysfunction and gastroparesis which is where my burping came from. I have really cleaned up my diet and as my health improves so has the burping frequency.

I didn't expect to find so many others had the explosive burps too! I'm not aware of having any other digestive problems, I have no pain, the only thing is I've sometimes been aware that I have undigested food hovering around for a long time, if I go to yoga I might taste it a bit when I invert. I'm planning to give up gluten and sugar and go on a really 'clean' diet. I'm worried about it being time consuming - having to do more cooking, and difficult to follow when I'm not at home.

Alison - I don't know if you've seen this, but there is a young woman with POTS who has set up a clean eating blog with loads of recipes which are gluten, sugar and dairy free. Apparently she found a lot of relief from symptoms by following this diet, and I'm thinking of giving it a go. I don't know if you'll find this helpful at all but I'll try and post a link to the blog: http://deliciouslyella.com/about/

Hopefully that will work.

Best Wishes,

Lyla

I thought I'd chime in that I'm the opposite. I burp a few times a year and its a tiny little thing.

My throat makes this weird sound like it wants to burp, but it can't get out. I read somewhere there's a flap in there (real technical, I know) that, in some people, doesn't move so the burp can't get out... but you can manually stick your finger down there when the sound occurs and let it out. LOL

Lyla - thanks for the link, She has some great recipes on her site. I think it's going to be a lot of work, cooking all this gluten free food, I'm not sure whether to try giving up meat too. Are you going to give up meat?

Everyone is different as to what will help them. I don't think a cleaner diet would hurt anyone though as long as adequate calories are consumed! I think baby steps is the way to go. An entire diet overhaul can be stressful, hard to remember enough to follow, and less likely to stick. I think a great start is eating whole foods and avoid foods with dyes, chemicals, and ingredients you can't pronounce. Once you've got that under control, make the next tweak. That's how I've had the most success at making dietary changes stick -- one change at a time.

I don't eat soy, dairy, gluten, egg, or grains. I also eat low FODMAPs. It has taken 2.5 years of tweaking, blood testing, some IgG testing (somewhat accurate, but partly wrong), and good old trial and error to figure out the right diet for me. Basically, I ended up eating low FODMAPs Paleo minus the eggs. I did veganism for 9 months, and despite supplementation, felt much worse. Everyone is different!