Pregnant And Significantly Suffering

trublukrav55

Awhile back I was discussing possibly getting pregnant and seeking advice from fellow POTS sufferers regarding whether or not this would be a doable path for myself to take. I received a ton of helpful advice, and thank all of you who offered their two sense. I'm now 8 weeks pregnant, however, and feel like I want to quit! I am SO fatigued that I can't work, which is dangerous for two reasons: 1) I'm a psychologist and need to be able to listen to my patients because a mistake could be really bad and 2) I'm the primary bread-winner in our house, so without my work, there is no money for this baby. I can't "take it easy" or "cut back" unless by 'cutting back,' those advice givers mean cutting back on things like a house or car... Even downsizing is not an option on my husband's income, or lack there of.

I'm getting really annoyed with people who don't have the fatigue saying that this is 'part of the deal' and 'totally normal' because I want to slap them! How is falling asleep while driving 'totally normal'? And I saw them pregnant, and it was NOT like this. Or they were drinking copious amounts of caffeine and taking speed. Since their babies are fine, I'm assuming they don't understand what this feels like.

I'm crying all the time because of this, because I can't do this! I can't keep going on like this without going crazy! My doctors prescribed me Vyvanse, a stimulant medication for ADHD, because I was SO fatigued when I wasn't pregnant, and since it is a category C, I can't take it unless it justifies the risk to the fetus. How am I supposed to make a selfish decision such as that? I am also not allowed to take my Vicodin, which was prescribed to me because I have woken up in the middle of the night for the past 13 years in excruciating pain because my joints feel like they're on active, burning fire. Well, I can't take that either, so burning fire it is. Every night.

When I told my doctor about these things, she said "oh, you'll sleep" - REALLY!? how helpful that is when I haven't slept in 13 years... and when I said that I slept over 24 hours last weekend without eating or drinking at all, she said "you should just try to get up" - again, THANK YOU! NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!! WOW!!

Anyway, I am beyond beyond frustrated and at my wits end. There are no docs here in Wisconsin that understand both. My POTS doc has me on the blood pressure med for pregnant ladies, which doesn't help the fatigue or pain. He says I should call my psychiatrist to tell him I'm off the vyvanse, which is the most help he'll give me in that regard. Someone please help me before I break down and can't recover!!

Thanks for listening, sorry for the caps and venting... I don't know where else to turn...

Hello and sorry you are going through so much. I became pregnant 2 years ago and at first it increased all of my symptoms. I did not go off of any of my medications including category C ones, which were very low dose, and I guess by doing that I took a risk. But I did not want to risk total health collapse while pregnant and going off my meds would have done that. My son is fine now. Sometimes you have to weigh the risks and the benefits... Maybe there are other medications safer than Vicodin that could help with pain?

I had horrible "morning" sickness during the first trimester, and then anaemia. It was so bad I had to quit my part-time job. What helped with the fatigue greatly was correcting the anaemia with prescription strength iron supplements I got from my GYN. Anaemia is a common cause of fatigue during pregnancy.

Towards the third trimester I began to feel better. I no longer had morning sickness or anaemia and my blood volume had increased significantly to support the baby, which helped my POTS. I actually felt better during this time than I did before I became pregnant.

Hope it gets better for you.

Well, I've never been pregnant, but the only consolation I can offer is that you might be in the worst of it now. Hormonal craziness (which is always bad for dysautonomia) tends to ease off after the first trimester. Other than that: hugs. And I know it's not easy helping other people with their problems when you're feeling bad yourself.

I had horrible first tri mestets for both of my childern severe fatigue, vomiting, lightheaded, but hang in there I didnt see an improvement until12-13 weeks along I started to feel better than for the rest of the pregnancy felt great. Had a few fainting episodes which was scary but hang in there it should get better. I unfortunately could not work either during the first 3 months but I was able to return after the first 3 months of pregnancy.

Hope you feel better soon, the extra blood volume in the second trimester should help once the hormones settle from the first few weeks.

So sorry to hear about your struggles. I just entered my second trimester and I can tell you it is a lot better. My POTS Doctor said that I should continue to feel better because your blood volume doubles which helps with POTS. Fatigue and lack of sleep is the worst. I don't really have any suggestions, but just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Maybe one suggestion. If you are having problems with sleep, do you think a sleep aid would help? I know it wouldn't help with pain...but might help you sleep. There are some OTC and prescription drugs that are deemed safe with pregnancy.

Sorry you are having this right now, when it is supposed to be a joyous time. I was really fatigued and horrible morning sickness for my pregnancies, but like others, felt way better in the 2nd trimester.

Like someone above said, anemia could be an issue. Ask to be tested to see if you need to increase your iron. During my last pregnancy, at around 38 weeks, I got sudden lightheadedness and the testing showed I was anemic even with taking iron, so I had to double up.

If it's not anemia, keep in mind that the corpus luteum is churning out progesterone---known as the calming hormone---to keep that baby safe in the womb, until the 3rd month. Unfortunately it might be too calming. So maybe that will get better.

Thanks everyone! I do alternative therapies, and always have, but they're only effective until I get up off the table. Same with sleep aids- it's not that I can't sleep, it's that I wake up in a significant amount of pain. So those aids don't help me sleep through anything. I sincerely hope I only have to wait 4-5weeks to feel better, I'm falling way behind @ work and am scared I'm going to lose my job or make a mistake or something! I even cancelled 3 patients today to go home and lay down. The problem is when I get there, I still won't be able to sleep! It's so frustrating! And the stress that all of this causes- the work, the meds, etc- can't be good for the baby, right? Which stresses me out more! Makes me wonder what's worse: the stress or the meds?

Sorry you are going through a rough time right now. Like others have said, most likely you will start to feel better in the 2nd trimester. I was the opposite--other than the usual nausea and slight dizzyness, I was fine in the first trimester. I was very sick w POTS in the 3rd and post partum.

I have friends w/o POTS who had rough first trimesters and were unable to do much beyond minimal work and rest.

I slept the whole time I was pregnant with my daughter. I could barely eat or drink anything, gained 6 lbs and she weighed 5lb 9oz. My pots started when I got pregnant with her so no one knew what was going on. She was my 3rd pregnancy. I had to quit working and basically became part of the couch. I couldn't get up unless it was to go to the bathroom or feed my other 2 little ones. But I survived and so did she. With my 2nd, I was given tylenol with codeine for pain and ambien to sleep. My babies don't grow out, they grow up and down so I had bruised ribs, horrible pain, and no sleep. You can ask your ob for something for pain that is safe. The codeine helped me sleep also but I wouldn't recommend ambien.

I'm in Wisconsin too. Have you seen anyone at Froedtert? I seen 2 neurologists that were great but I wasn't pregnant so not sure how knowledgeable they would be during pregnancy. It's worth a shot!