Dental/epinephrine Shot For Cavity Filling

Hi everyone, I need a cavity filled. I used to dread dentistry but now I just dread worsening of POTS. I spoke to the dentist and he said the effects of the epinephrine would be transient. And he said there was very little epinephrine in the shot. He said that the other option does not numb as well and he would have to use more of it. I'm sure many of us have had dental work and know the right choice. Thank you, as always.

Everyone's different so take my experience for what it's worth--I had bone grafts on my three back teeth last fall, upper and lower, and had a lot of novacaine (or whatever they use) and it didn't bother me at all.

I wore my heart rate monitor and kept a check on my hr. It got up into the 90's and I was reclined. I felt a little weird when I left there, but I drove myself home.

On another note, several years ago, pre-dysautonomia, I had an old cracked filling drilled out and replaced and I did it without anaesthesia (sp). So I don't know if you might be up for that. Probably depends on how deep the cavity is.

Tough one. As dkd said, I guess everyone's different. I am very wary of these local anesthetics but I had a terrible experience with Lidocaine that kind of started this whole mess for me. I need a gum graft done and I'm avoiding it at the moment. :(

May want to try preventing a bad reaction with an H1 antihistamine (such as benedryl) that will prevent additional inflammation and/or reactions to the local anesthetic. Histamine release is associated with most any invasive procedure. If you struggle with anxiety might also take a half a dose of Xanax or similar med. I like the idea mentioned above of bringing your HR monitor with you. If you struggle with hypotension then may want to also watch BP.

Know lots of POTS pts who struggle with dental issues for various reasons and other who do not. If you have tolerated Epinepherine before that is a good sign.

Also, there is an article you can google for dental precautions w/ POTS pts on Pub Med that you could give to your dentist in advance.

My dysautonomia started after a dental surgery. Even before that, I always felt off and dizzy after dental anesthesia for entire day. I opted out of anesthetics several times with small cavities because of that. Now I have 2 cavities and a crown to do and I'm not taking a risk with novocaine. I am avoiding the whole thing at the moment, but when I decide to do it I'll go for something without epinephrine for sure.

I definitely can not have novacanine with epi as it causes significant tachycardia, fatigue, tremors, etc......a few months ago I needed a cavity filled and had the novacaine without epi. I was really nervous about it but I had absolutely no problems! Per all the postings above, some of us can tolerate epi and some can't. I suppose you can always just ask for the novacaine without epi if you are concerned. Good luck:)

I had wisdom teeth removed/ dental work done before my pots diagnosis. Might be connected.

Hi, I got my super high, and super low blood pressure problems after surgery too. Then it went away when I went to a Naturopath and was treated with a “Light beam generator”. The Dr. said it cleaned the lymph system. It was a miracle. My severe bp problems as of 2 years completely went away after 2 treatments. It was absolutely gone for about 4 years UNTIL I started using a Fentanyl pain patch. I live abroad right now and can not find a LBGenerator here, and I must take this Fentanyl. Without it I have intolerable pain. I wonder if anyone has looked into this medication connection? I will do a main post on this when I get a minute. Maybe we can find out.

Novocaine just about made my heart shoot out of my ribs. Does your dentist have access to carbocaine? that is what my dentist switched to after we determind novocaine was a no-go. The first time I had carbocaine it took two shots but every other time I've had it, it's worked just fine and gave me no tachycardia. I do feel kinda sleepy afterwards but, hey, lesser of two evils.

I usually have cavities filled without any pain relief but if I had to have an extraction I would ask for a local without epinephrine, as I don't want to risk my heart going weird!

srb, how did your body react to the Lidocaine? I am due to have three infusions very soon,

Novocaine just about made my heart shoot out of my ribs. Does your dentist have access to carbocaine? that is what my dentist switched to after we determind novocaine was a no-go. The first time I had carbocaine it took two shots but every other time I've had it, it's worked just fine and gave me no tachycardia. I do feel kinda sleepy afterwards but, hey, lesser of two evils.

. I asked my dentist if he was using novacaine and he said no, it was carbocaine and I said great. What he did not tell, was he ordered his carbocaine with 5 % ep. My b/p went to 235/135 and I thought I would die. Hope this saves someone life.

Oh my goodness, Wmtate, that sounds horrible.

TCP, I'm not sure if my experience will relate to what you have planned because mine was administered in the 'traditional' way as a local anesthetic. I think if I remember from other posts that you will be getting it intravenously?

It was for a punch biopsy on my lower leg. I 'blacked out' just seconds after it was injected. I was perfectly calm and talking with the physician and apparently stopped abruptly, was gagging, full body sweat, no idea where I was, etc. I think my blood pressure went really low but was too out of it to remember what they said it was. They initially thought seizure, but since most feel it was vasovagal syncope or the lidocaine went directly into my bloodstream, which it is not supposed to do when being used a local numbing agent.