Acrocyanosis

docradmd

Interestingly enough, newborns commonly have acrocyanosis due to immature nervous systems - Raynaud's also causes an acrocyanotic-like condition by turning the hands/feet a mottled blueish color - not from an oxygen defecit but, from the nervous system malfunctioning - I guess your physician needs to determine the origin of the acrocyanosis to best know how to treat it - I occasionally have vasospasms in my hands which cause my fingers to turn deathly white - this type of vasospasm does indeed restrict circulation and thereby cut off oxygen supply to the fingers......

• 8 months later...

I have it too. It gets worse if I'm standing in place or after a shower. I read an article awhile ago from Dr. Raj talking about this. It didn't say a lot about it, but he said that it's still not entirely understood but that it's likely from a lack of blood flow under the skin not from blood pooling per se.

I got it too. It definitely has a very strong correlation with how strong my POTS-symptoms are in general.

When I was at my worst in Feb/March this year, I got it from just sitting for 2-3 minutes. Now I don't get it from sitting at all, neither when I am walking or making other moves with my legs.

The only posture I get it from now is standing still. It will start after 3-4 minutes and be in "full blow" after 6-7 minutes.

However, as time goes by and I improve in general, it takes more time of standing still to appear.

Therefore, I would say acrocyanosis for me is a perfect marker for how bad my POTS is. Anyway, no doc yet could give me a clear explanation of what it actually stands for physiologically...

I've always thought that my acrocyanosis is from blood pooling in my legs. If I stand still with one leg on the floor and one leg up on something, then only the leg down on the floor goes purple/grey. Also when I walk they go back to a more normal colour, and I assumed that was because the blood was being pumped back up due to activation of the calf muscles.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi All,

Yes. I have this too.  I have severe Dysautonomia due to trauma. I also have CRPS, POTS, MCAS and EDS. Lucky me. 

I’ve been trying to get help for this recently as it wasn’t ever painful, but now as I’ve had it 4 years untreated and live at 8000 feet (to keep my body cold :-), I’ve now developed neuropathy (feels like a TENS unit turned on high on my feet and hands).

I also have no veins whatsoever. I believe my nervous system is whacked, and I’m desperately seeking treatment. I also learned that a drug I’m taking (Clonidine) can bring this on. 

What helps me is key POTS stuff- hydration, sodium loading, and compression stockings at least 12 hours a day. I also wear gloves on my hands when they get real swollen from cooking, gardening, etc.

Just stumbled upon this group, I know post is old, but maybe it will reach some of you. 

• 3 months later...

Flixo - did you ever get a diagnosis?

I have exactly the same phenomenon as your photos show. Purple hands when hang down but go pretty much back to normal colour when hold them up.

I know I have low blood pressure, am quite ‘veiny’ and really feel the cold!

Would love to know what’s causing this :)