Pharmacy Changed Generic Brand.

Joann

I picked up my prescriptions earlier this week and when it came time to refill my weekly bottles I discovered my doxazosin was totally different! The pharmacist assured me that it was totally the same just another company they changed to because of cost.

Yesterday I took the new pill. Later that night I began to not feel so great, but I decided not to be a worry wart and go to bed. This morning I woke up sweaty, head and back throbbing. Got up and my bp which has been pretty controlled lately (around 110/75 pulse around 80's) was now 156/100 and pulse was 110!

I have two of my old pills left, so I took one of them today. I am hoping to begin feeling better as the hours past. I am waiting for pharmacies to open up to see if there is one around that will carry the brand I have been taking.

Has this happened to anyone else. I know the fillers are different, but I really think the medicine dispensed differently and didn't last as long, no matter that it was suppose to be the same dosage.

I think there's a couple different versions of midodrine some of us have had issues with... My main issue with mine is that it's just so large, and I'm having issues swallowing it, but someone I think said theirs felt like it wasn't as strong? Something along those lines.

Do hope you feel better!

I actually will be glad if that is the problem because I can at least get back on (I hope!) the other brand and start to feel better. I was worried about this happening and everyone told me I worry to much. My family will say that I caused it by thinking it, but really I wasn't even thinking about it yesterday, I had a doctor appt. on a non blood pressure issue so my mind was on that issue.

I don't take that drug, but it has happened to me twice with other generics. I now take note of what generic I use and even if my pharmacy stops carrying it, I go to one that does. It means extra driving but is worth it in the long run. You didn't cause it, if that generic disagrees with you. I know many people who do really well on syntheroid (brand thyroid) and all do poorly on the generic.

I hate that. It happened to me too, a few months ago with my adderall. At the time, I had enough left over from earlier prescription fills to not have to take the new generic (after I realized it was awful) and I just tossed it in a drawer and found a pharm that stocked my old brand. But I forgot to get a new prescription slip and ended up having to take the sub-par pills yesterday and today.

Today was the worst day, symptom-wise, that I've had in over a year. I've had pharmacists act like I'm insane when I make them tell me the manufacturer before I drop off my slip - one gave me a lecture about how all the generics are the same, ha - but it really does make a difference. And especially with controlled substances, trying to get a new bottle more than once a month is just a PITA - not to mention a waste of money.

I hope the old pill helped! It's never fun when your meds get messed with.

One of my medical providers told me that generics have to be within +/- 20% of the name brand so it's possible you are feeling that difference. I'm not a pharmacist so can't say if that's correct or not, but that's what I was told. One of my other docs said she always insists on her patients using name brand first so she knows how they respond to the actual drug before she lets them try generics and then they can compare results when they move to generic versions. Otherwise she says it gets too confusing with all the variability between generics.

Well, it took a day of many phone calls to pharmacy and my doctors office but I finally got another bottle of the generic type I have taken in the past. As usual something that should have been easy was not. My doctor's office dropped the ball and did not call it in prior to closing, even though I called to check 1/2 hour prior to closing. I was told that I needed to give them time and that they would deal with it after closing time. They actually said" we wouldn't leave you hanging" and then did!!! I can laugh now, because I had one refill left at the old pharmacy and I was able to transfer it to the new pharmacy. But I could have been without the medication for the entire weekend thanks to them!!

Within 6 hours of taking the old bp med, my bp went down. I am still dealing with some issues but not sure if that is because of this or my other problems. Still at least my bp is not as high as that 24 hour period!

I think brands do matter, especially for those who have really sensitive systems. I know people who can miss their bp medicines and are fine for a day, but I am late by a couple of hours I notice it!