Sudden Shortness Of Breath

khaarina

I have a lot of short of breath issues but the sudden ones are the strangest. Whenever I accidentally hold my breath for just a second or two (like when I am standing up from sitting, rolling over in bed, etc.) I get this severe feeling of breathlessness, like I've been holding my breath for a really long time and I have to take several very deep breaths to regain my normal breathing. It doesn't make sense to me because I feel like I need to catch my breath when I shouldn't. I would be interested to hear ideas about where this is coming from and why.

There was a study done, I think here on Dinet, addressing this issue. They liken to it feeling like COPD. I have had asthma, before, but this is definitely different. I can't explain it. It's the reason I'm getting a stress test on Wednesday. There is a tightness, like I can't completely fill my lungs, and it does happen randomly for no apparent reason. I'll see if I can find the study.

Yep - poor blood supply to the chest and BAM! - shortness of breath - also causes the "coat hanger" neck/shoulder pain - I get relief with a small dose of midodrine over and above what I usually take - it is very annoying to be gasping for breath while conversing with someone - also, the pain can just get downright miserable!

Yes E Soskis, I am always running out of breath before I finish my sentences. It is so annoying! About the shoulder pain you mentioned: I have had unexplained pain in my right shoulder of an on for years. It is like a pinching feeling. It usually goes away within a few hours. Does this sound like what you are talking about?

Kind of feels like deep pain radiating from the base of my skull down across my shoulders - almost like pulled muscles but, not responding to any kind of anti-inflammatory medication - neck can get very stiff - hard to turn from side to side - yet, massage does not help and in fact, makes it worse - after I have it for a day or two, off and on, I recognize it as the pain associated with dysautonomia - I don't know how the pain presents with everyone - it very well could be the type of pain you are describing - I'm sure we are all a little different with our pain responses......