Red Rash Question

looneymom

Has anyone experienced having a blotchy, non itchy, red rash appear on their arms. It is not a raised rash. The rash happens once or twice a day now. It comes and disappears on both arms. Tyler complains that he is hot and the rash is warm to touch. As soon as he gets cooled down, the rash goes away. Is this a heat rash or could this be hormones? This rash started about a week ago and it was happening several times a day. It occurs less now so I don't think this is an allergic reaction. Has anyone else experience something simular to this?

Rachel

I've had this same thing happen. I've always called it my "Self-Combusting Episode". My skin gets hot and red and I usually start shaking and shivering. I went to the ER on once and they kept taking my temperature because they couldn't believe I could feel that warm and not have a fever. Unfortunately, I've never gotten answers as to why this happens or what it is. For me, it usually happens in the evening or as I'm trying to fall asleep. I've been given antibiotics because they thought red, warm skin meant an infection. I knew it was just one of my weird POTSie things. Luckily, they only happen now when I'm having a bad flare. I find that cooling off helps. I either go out into the cold air or even lie down on the tile bathroom floor. I hope he finds relief! Sorry I'm not more help but at least you know he's not alone!

I get this also. I wish I could tell you what it is but no one has given me a definitive answer on that. I do get some relief from taking a benedryl so I suppose that implies some sort of histamine reaction. Since I have mcas it could be related to that. I also get hives and several other types of rashes. I have quite a collection of photos.

Is Tyler on midodrine? I get something similar on my legs, neck, chest, stomach and lower back. I was told mine is likely a reaction to the midodrine. Sometimes it's itchy and sometimes not. It usually correlates with other midodrine side effects e.g. goosebumps (everywhere) and bladder issues.

I've had this same thing happen. I've always called it my "Self-Combusting Episode". My skin gets hot and red and I usually start shaking and shivering. I went to the ER on once and they kept taking my temperature because they couldn't believe I could feel that warm and not have a fever. Unfortunately, I've never gotten answers as to why this happens or what it is. For me, it usually happens in the evening or as I'm trying to fall asleep. I've been given antibiotics because they thought red, warm skin meant an infection. I knew it was just one of my weird POTSie things. Luckily, they only happen now when I'm having a bad flare. I find that cooling off helps. I either go out into the cold air or even lie down on the tile bathroom floor. I hope he finds relief! Sorry I'm not more help but at least you know he's not alone!

I'm going through an extreme period of this at the moment, Aimes. I stand in cool breezes (hard to find at the moment in summery Australia), have lots of cool showers (but not cold ones as they will decrease my core body temp and then it will ricochet back and overwharm me. ie my core temp will go high). I spend a lot of time in airconditioned rooms and in front of fans too. Night is worse. I get into bed and warm up and it gets really hot unless I've got the airconditione up high or a strong fan on. Swimming in the ocean will stop the heat for at least 2-3 hours but going out in the sun to go swimming is a trial. I often just feel too hot in the sun. I must try lying down on the cool tiles.

I don't always go red uniformly with this but will get pressure urticarial blobs of red on my skin.

blue

The rash did not happen at all yesterday. Tyler has been on Midodrine since 2011 so still do not know what to make of this rash. It does not itch so I really don't think it is an allergic reaction. I will just keep observing for now.

Rachel

My mom and I get a weird purple blotchy skin discoloration from our elbows and ends where tshirt sleeves end. its really weird. it comes and goes. it pops up more when we are stressed or cold. and sometimes with me one ear or both get randomly bright bright red and burning hot. It happens randomly when I get heat flashes and by itself. also it happens when I am upset too. Also my nose turns a deep red purply color sometimes when I am hot or randomly or when I am upset. we do not know what it is.