Ohio

briarrose

i was born in ohio (cincinnati), grew up here (springboro/ dayton area & toledo), and then lived in maryland for most of nine years. i moved back to ohio (cleveland) just over a year ago and will be moving back to the home i grew up in (toledo) within the next two weeks.

my health problems started while i lived in toledo but progressed throughout the time i lived in maryland as well as after moving back to toledo. perhaps there's some connection with my origination in ohio - not sure - but being in maryland definitely didn't help anything. nor has travelling anywhere else for short periods.

there is an interesting "cluster" of sorts in the toledo area neighborhood i grew up in (from first grade until high school graduation and shorter stays since). we know of at least 5 people in the neighborhood who have had some type of autonomic dysfunction over the years. our former next door neighbor (older lady) as well as a neighbor across the street (toddler) had Guillian-Barre Syndrome, a former classmate of mine around the block has autonomic neuropathy with severe GI manifestations (amongst other things) and has a gastric pacer, another person around the block has some type of dysautonomia and has been a patient at vanderbilt, and i'm an autonomic train wreck of sorts. so who knows.....

hopefully someday there will be more answers to the "whys" and "hows" of things...

;) melissa

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Living in Wood County, OH. Well my #2 son age 19 is orthostatic intolerant has NCS and POTS and my #1 son age 26 is Orthostatic Intolerant, my Dad age 79 also is O.I. too and has been for 61+ years. #2 son was dx: NCS by St. Vincent hospital in Toledo, and NCS, POTS by Dr. Fouad at the Cleveland Clinic. His POTS appeared about 6 months after a Strep virus.

I'm in Columbus, but I grew up in Virginia, and I got sick before I moved out here. I think there's something to the theory that Ohio doctors are better informed about POTS. I've been telling doctors for years that I saw stars on a daily basis, and until the last couple of years, nobody ever tried to figure out why.

I have an appointment with Dr. Grubb in January. I'm trying to learn as much as I can beforehand, so I can really make use of his expertise. My neurologist in town knew enough to diagnose me and give me the basic drugs, but he's been quite frank that he doesn't know much more than that.

i'm from Ohio, too!

born and raised in north central ohio, about an hour north of columbus, lived in bowling green (wood county) for about 12 years (i began having debilitating symptoms there, dx in toledo for NCS) moved back to my hometown, dx'd a few years later w/ POTS by dr. grubb.

this is really strange that so many of us are from Ohio. i too, know of at least a dozen other ppl (my sister, among them, was recently dxd w/ NCS, she lives in columbus area; mother has had POTS sxs for years, she's not dxd) with autonomic dysfunction, all from OH or strong connections to it. i've also heard about the high MS rate in the midwest, specifically OH, but didn't know if it was true or not.

wow, this is freaky. it certainly makes one wonder!

peace,

lulu

Hi. I'm from Ohio, too! I used to think it depressing that I was born in Ohio, lived my life in Ohio, and will die in Ohio, but I actually look at Ohio as nothing but HOME! I was born in Lima, lived in Columbus for a year, moved back to Lima, and now live in Columbus Grove (30 minutes north of Lima).

"We're Ohio born and Ohio bred,

and when we die we'll be...Ohio dead,

rah, rah, rah,

rah, rah, Ohio, hio,

rah, rah, Ohio, hio,

rah, rah, Ohio State!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Linda

Hey everyone from SW Ohio! I think I've finally found people who know what they're talking about!!

Kettering Medical Center Cardiac Rehab folks told me today that they are seeing more and more people with POTS come through and more and more insurance companies are forking out for it! I've had to go through the ringer in paperwork for this diagnosis!

The woman there said they are seeing mostly women ages 17-35. Anyway, I think they are well qualified. Looks like no more excessive trips to Cleveland Clinic! I'm already feeling better.

Has anyone been able to get rid of symptoms? CC told me about 2/3 of people never see symptoms again and some just have to get treated every few years or so to get rid of them again.

Maybe this should be a new topic?

Well I have been absent for awhile. Lots going on, but coming back.

Add another Ohio gal to the list. Born and raised outside of Youngstown. Also see Dr. Fouad in Cleveland.

• 3 years later...

That is really bizarre, but let me throw a wrench in this theory... although I oddly enough now live in Ohio... I was born in MA, grew up in NJ, moved to NY which is when I was diagnosed and got sick... and a few years later I moved to OH... I am going on 4 years here (wow, time goes quickly).

Although living in Ohio has not helped my health in anyway, it has not made me any worse either. Its so funny though, as an East Coaster and a New Yorker especially I had never in my life been to the midwest, as a matter of fact (and yes I know I was very very naive and stupid), I just always assumed Ohio and all of the surrounding states were all farm land and a bunch of hicks (again I apologize for my ignorance!!!), Ohio was what I always considered a fly over state, meaning why would anyone come here, but you had to fly over it en route to other places lol... I can now say I am a happy resident of Columbus, and everyone from the East Coast who visits me is shocked to see that I actually live in a city and loves it here.

Sorry I went off on a bit of a tangent!

But I will say I have found the low humidity in California seems to play a big part in how I feel day-to-day, we are going there again for vacation in a few weeks and this time I am going to keep a detailed journal of my symptoms...and who knows maybe at some point will move there.

We also live in Columbus, Ohio. We lived in Champaign, Illinois, when my son (the POTS patient) was born and moved to Columbus when he was seven. His symptoms started a few years after we moved to Ohio, but I don't know if there's any connection with the state. His symptoms, unfortunately, get worse whenever/wherever we travel. In addition to the travel itself provoking his symptoms, it seems like his immune system goes into overdrive whenever he's in new surroundings. It was actually something we noticed before the more constant symptoms developed--he started getting very sick whenever we traveled.

All very odd, but it's nice to know there are so many Buckeyes on board!