Bronchial Constriction During This Freezing Weather

Chrissy

As the weather dropped to a wind chill of 11 my "asthma" started acting up. My chest got tight and I struggled to get a decent breath for days. I tried the nebulizer, rest, fluids, and nothing helped. Any suggestions? I also get a sharp pain in my lower lungs and icy freeze with every attempt to inhale during the episodes. The ER is useless and I am now back to having to meet a high deductible so any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Chrissy

I now live in a cold climate and can relate to what you are going through!

If you get to where you can't breathe and your inhalers aren't working then you really need to go to the ER--you can have life-threatening asthma attacks and cold weather is a trigger for many asthmatics.

Aside from that, try not to breathe in too much cold air--use a scarf to cover your mouth and nose and that can help some. When you come indoors try using a moist heat pack on your chest or back and see if that helps. You could also try a hot pack when you go outdoors (I sometimes get one of those therma-care packs and place it between layers of my clothes (so that it doesn't burn my skin but is still close enough to give me the warmth).

As strange as it sounds, you could also try doing some stretching of your back, shoulders and arms before and after getting out into the cold--cold constricts everything so opening those spaces and stretching are not total solutions of course but may bring some relief.

I hope you find something that helps

What about using a warm mist humidifer or sitting in the bathroom with a hot shower running and breathing in the warm moist air. When my son had really bad spells of a croupy cough this seemed to help the most. Once we bought a warm mist humidifier, it was always running when he was having problems. My son also used a scarf if he had to go outside to get into the car. Cover yourself up and try not to breath cold air through your mouth. Hope you feel better soon.

Rachel