Choking/swallowing Problems

houswoea

I've had problems like this off and on. In my case, it was actually caused from dry mouth (which surprised me because I didn't FEEL like I had a dry throat). What helped was sucking on something sour--lemon drops for example. The sour should naturally produce more saliva which will in turn be enough production to coat the throat and should reduce the cough.

I don't totally remember the medical explanation but basically it has something to do with the fact that the valve at the top of the esophagus is much more suseptible to being irritated when dry AND it doesn't have the protection that the valve from the esophagus to the stomach has so just a tiny drop of saliva (if your throat is too dry) kinda acts like a startle reflex instead of being a smooth swallow.

Also experiment with some mildly warm liquids and see if that is better for you. Lots of times people with these types of swallowing issues do worse with liquids that are too hot or too cold.

I hope you find some relief soon!

The top of my esophagus is dry, so it can give me trouble getting things down. I also feel it more. I do have dry mouth.

In addition, my saliva can get excessively think and becomes it's own swallowing problem. It takes some effort to eat anything, and I drink a lo of shakes.

It does not make me cough or choke, and liquids are ok. Mostly.

I would be concerned about aspiration. A swallowing test might be a good idea. They could tell if the liquid is penetrating and if there is a risk of aspiration.

I have had this issue on and off since my pots started although I've never seen literature associating this symptom with pots. I'll have itfor a few days then it goes away. When I have googled it, the only thing I consistently find is chiari malformation although I have had 2 upright mris and no sign of chiari on either one. I get 2 different sensations when I have it. One is that I swallow and it feels "like it goes down the wrong pipe" and I choke. People have actually gotten ready to do the Heimlich maneuver on me. The other sensation I get is that I swallow and it feels like my muscles forget how to finish the motion halfway through the swallow process. It lasts for a couple of seconds then it's like my body regains the muscle memory and finishes the process. I feel like it has something to do with the nerve signals not getting through to the muscles properly (although I have no proof...it's just what it feels like). No matter what is causing it, it is scary when it happens especially if I'm at my house alone.

I have issues off and on with this. Normally after a bad out, I can't swallow for awhile, like my body has to take a certain amount of time to recover all it's functions.

All it could diagnose is dysphagia. I would be blurry on treatment myself. You would want to know if there was a risk of aspiration, and if there is not, it would settle that concern. It would establish what the current condition is, if it is decided to check it later for progression.