Heart Rate Recovery after exercise

I have a problem with heart rate recovery after exercise and was wondering if any of you have this and if you have found anything that helps.

What happens to me is this -- After I exercise, my heart rate will come down in just a little while (but not all the way), BUT then when I go to eat a meal shorly after (even if I wait a couple of hours) my heart rate will zoom back up. I get chest discomfort, dizzyness, and breathlessness. This can last for up to several days. This is after I try to lift weights. Any activity after my exercise has the same effect.

Cardiovascular exercise is too big of a problem for me to do at all. After cardio exercise (even just a couple of minutes of it). My heart rate has trouble coming down; and any activity or eating afterward causes very bad symptoms. Symptoms after cardio exericse have lasted up to one week.

I read some material on the internet about heart rate recovery being a good indicator of death from heart disease. I read that doctors are really starting to pay strong attention to that.

I recently bought (but have not used yet) a machine to do cardiovascular exercise on. It is a small piece of equipment that has pedals on it. Except that you don't use your legs on it. You pedal it with you hands. I thought maybe since I would not have blood pooling in my legs while using this, I might could tolerate it. I have not been brave enough to use it yet though because I do not want to bring on the really bad symptoms I have after cardio work.

I first saw this machine at a cardio rehabilitation program at a hospital.

Welcome! Anytime I exercise, I have tachy and zillions of arrythmias for hours. I eat very small frequent meals, whether I'm trying to exercise or not. Take everything you read with a grain, or in most of the people here, a gallon of salt. I exercise very little, because it's just not worth how I feel after. So I'm not sure what to tell you except most of us are pretty intolerant in different ways. Sometimes just eating a little protein seems to help some people and sometimes not. It's so variable, but eating also affects my heart rate and rhythms, probably because the heart has to work harder to digest, and then you add a workout on top of that and you are asking for misery! Maybe someone here has symptoms more similar to yours, although I don't think mine are much different. morgan

I have a horrible heart rate recovery after exercise. My heart continues to race for about two hours after exercising, and sometimes longer. But I don't feel very bad -- just tired.

I don't think that you can view heart rate recovery's link with death from heart disease as being the same for POTS patients. Since our autonomic systems are impaired, yes, we have trouble with heart rate recovery. But for someone without POTS, I think the recovery thing is more significant. Since POTS may strike us for just a few years, our heart rate recovery may go back to normal when we heal. I'm no expert, but that just seems to make sense. Believe me, I tend to be freaked a little by those kinds of studies and information, but I don't worry too much about this one. There's nothing you can do about it anyway, except try to get into better shape.

Amy

my heart rate soars for hours after any kind of excersie, and then drops like a rock, as into the 30's, very uncomfortable. this can happen as soon as 2 hours or not till i lay down for bed(i try to excerise at a regular time every day, for me, about 11am) i sit thru most of my stuff except some leg lifts(holding onto a chair and with ankle weights), and some bands i got from pt, i drink plenty before and after the workout, if you can call it that. if i do everything, it takes me about 35 minutes to do it.

blackwolf

Hi All,

First best wishes to Morgan hope all is well.

I would reccomend to any on this forum to invest in a descent Heart rate monitor as an Exercise Aid & training tool. The symptoms associated with the Dysautonomias are so varied Day to day , in fact moment to moment it makes exercise ever more the chore it already seems to be. However , a monitor will at least give some comfort beyond those obvious symptoms.

Personally , I push quite hard on ,good days , to get and keep my HR in my training zones; it does FALTER , sometimes considerabley. it is no better with Resitance Training or Cardio. each of which calls upon different bioenergetic systems (fast gylcosis /anerobic - slow glycosis /aerobic ) to fuel your muscles. So this leaves a couple options as the heart is a muscle and we require an effecient o2 exchange to preform at a solid effort.

1) Eating small meals certainly , but the timing is most important -- an 1.5 hours is usually best before training so that your have no GI problems whle training. If your body is trying to digest blood flow is limited and its difficult to maxiize HR

2) During training hydration is important - don't wait until you thirsty- sips between sets - or at given time periods .

3) interval training for cardio is important work at getting your HR up & back gradually -- it doesn't have to be done aggressively but if you train your heart to beat and recover it will become stronger faster - the addendum here is to ALWAYS ALWAYS RELAX & BREATHE . I can't stress the importance of BREATHING in aworkout. It is the elusive key to the mind /body aspect of exercise and making the body work as efficiently as possible thus allowing you to RELAX and enjoy exercise. It is as simple as breathing out on exertion in on relaxation -- like a Bellow creating heat for a fire.

4) I find ,personally now , after workout that smoothies tend to work best as post workout meals . This limits the effects of digestion and allows the recovery to start . that way if I do have issues I have aleast taken in a quality meal post exercise.

5) time of day - find one that works for you. For instance I prefer the morning when I am the least impacted by my drug regimen and have have the most amount of rest / recovery without drugs in my system. I personally feel I have a better understanding of my body at this time. I do take some of my pills prior to training. This works for me Iwould recomend you speak to your Doc. But find a time that works stick to it.

6) Hydrate before , during, after, Watch your body temp and make sure that youare relaxed while you are exercising. Don't confuse relaxation with exertion - they aren't mutually exclusive, J ust work at a pace that allows you to come back again the next day. Breathe its simple but boy -- its makes an enomous difference , give your body a " voluntary " shake out .

all these things have helped me Most of the time , however there are times when you have to wait until the nextime - that's why they made next times - Oh and HR monitors.

good training Kite 7