Great Hospital Experience

SpinnyC

So often trips to the hospital can be horrible for people with Pots, I thought I'd post about a good experience.

After Christmas I came down with a horrible stomach virus. As soon as I got sick my heart rate jumped way up and I knew I was in trouble. My doctor said to go to the E.R. and called ahead to explain to them why I was coming.

When I got there they took me right back to a room and started an iv and some anti nausea meds. After almost a whole night my heart rate still couldn't be controlled and I was still loosing fluids so the admitted me.

Once admitted the doctor I had in the hospital was fantastic. He asked me questions about Pots, Mcas, and Eds. Was honest about what he knew and more importantly what he didn't. He valued my opinion when considering a course of action for my care, took my many allergies seriously, and made accommodations for me when needed. The entire medical team that oversaw my care were great (except for one nurse who called me "one of those patients" and commented on how young I was- to suggest I wasn't really so sick. But even her attitude improved after talking with the doctor).

I still feel bad- but I can honestly say I'd be feeling a lot worse if it wasn't for the amazing job the hospital team did.

Glad you had a good experience; it's always heartening. My last admission, for your exact issues actually, ended with the doctors saying they didn't know 'how much was actually wrong' with me and thinking I was over-reacting and making my myself sick (I was vomiting pink froth by the time i went to hospital) and my heartrate bananas. Needless to say none of them had heard of POTS.

Thanks- it's always awful to get sick like this with Pots.

To answer some of your questions tanner. Within the first hour of being sick my resting (laying down) heart rate was in the high 140's. I did have chest pain when it would get over 130's. I would feel faint even just sitting up sometimes. My bp was fluctuating high and low when I first got there.

It was so important that my doctor called the ER. Doctors take other doctors more seriously. No one in the ER really had a good idea what Pots or mast cell activation were but a few had looked up info because my doc had called a head.

After three bags of iv fluids and three rounds of nausea meds I was still getting sick and my heart rate was still in the 120- 130's resting so I was admitted.

Initially the ER admitted me to the general unit but they can't monitor your heart rate. When I saw the hospital doc I asked about being monitored. He listened to how fast a rate it was, talked with me about it and I was transferred to the cardiac unit shortly after so they could monitor my heart rate. A perfect example of him listening to what I had to say and taking it into account.

My bp dropped pretty low despite being on iv fluids the entire time I was there. I also had to have iv potassium because those levels dropped pretty low.

I was in for two days. They would have kept me another day but the doctor left it up to me. My resting heart rate was better, other labs had regulated but I was still very nauseous and needing to use the bathroom a lot. He said only I would know if I could keep up with fluid intake once off the iv.

I opted to go home because I really wanted to go but if I'm being honest I probably should have stayed one more night. The first night home was a bit rocky.

I'm planning on it. I already told the doc when I was being released how amazing he was an how appreciative I was of his approach. He looked a bit stunned to hear it isn't always such an open-minded reception. He said this wasn't something docs encounter everyday and didn't understand how you could be anything but open minded.

So glad for you. I am stumped on what to do right now as I have a sever upper respiratory infection for 8 days now that is getting worse rather then improving. I have tried every homeopathic remedy with no luck. Every antibiotic I've ever tried always gets me really sick or I'm allergic to it I would only be able to tolerate amoxicillin vur last time I took that I felt some itchiness and on day 4 I suddenly became very flushed and felt so shaky all over and my bp dropped to 80/56 and irregular heart rate popped up on omron. Not sure if this was from the amoxicillin or not as I do get flushing episodes but it just worries me as I've gone into anaphylactic shock before with certain meds. It seems I need meds to get better but I can never tolerate any. I'm not sure if going to the hospital is my best option where they can give me I've fluid and medicine there and watch me of if they'd even be willing. Called my PCP waiting for a response on what to do. My hospital here isn't the greatest.