I Need Chronic Pain Help!

houswoea

I'm in so much pain, friends. I applied to the chronic pain clinic in st Paul because my primary is afraid to help me. They don't want to take me because I'm complicated. My primary said just go up on the nuerontin until you feel better, but at about 2000 mgs, I start passing out and it's not much relief. I'm afraid I'm going to lose my job because I've used almost all my sick days because I can't stand up because my pain is uncontrolled. I have such bad spells where it hurts so badly, I pass out laying down up to five times in a night. I've done the dieting and attempting to excerisise, I still see a chiropractor and nutritionist. I don't know what else to do and I'm sad.

Are you in the care of a neurologist? Are you diabetic? Your symptoms sound like some form of neuropathy. There are other treatments available if you can determine what type of neuropathy and what is causing it. The neuropathy association has a list of doctors that specialize in neuropathic pain and can screen and test for small fiber neuropathy, etc. They also are usually up on autoimmune neuromuscular causes. Diabetes is often the most common cause, as well as hyperinsulinemia that proceeds the start of diabetes. Your best hope is figuring what is causing the pain and fainting/autonomic symptoms. Hope this give you a place to start looking.

Thanks guys! I think I did the neuropathy testing three years ago... Where they put those stickers on you and shock you? And the fainting is just pots, im sure. I tried cutting gluten, dairy, sugar/artificial sugar but it didn't make a difference. I plan to just keep looking into treatment options. Thanks for caring.

The test your talking about is called an emg is it is done only to check the function of the large fiber nerves. Those are the nerves that control your ability to move your muscles.

Small fiber nerves control all the functions your body does without you thinking. This includes the sensory nerves which cause the burning pain association with peri neuropathy often associated with diabetes, but can also be caused by other conditions including autoimmune diseases.

Unless you've had a skin biopsy or a qsart test, then the small fiber nerves haven't been tested. If the sfn's are damaged there are different treatment plans available to manage it depending on what caused it. Fainting and pots are separate autonomic issues. They can coexist though. High heart rates on standing don't necessarily cause a faint. Faints are usually associated with a drop in blood pressure.

Hmm. I don't know if I had a small fiber test. I know that my feet have neuropathy, but I don't know about anything else. I gave up this morning and called my doctor at the mayo clinic. Maybe he will help me. I tried the diet once for six months and once for two. I plan to try it again soon. I think my sadness is a side effect of the nuerontin because I'm really depressed and emotional and it started with the increase in nuerontin.