Anyone Get Bruising?

Edin

So about a month ago when I finally got in to see a doctor they asked me if I got unexplainable bruising and I said no, but it finally clicked in today that I do. I guess it was stuck in my head that I would bump into something and just end up forgetting about it. But when I looked down today I noticed I had a lot more bruising than I could forget about.

So I was wondering do any of you get bruising? And do you know why?

For those of you who are curious, here is a picture of my legs where all my bruising is at. http://i42.tinypic.com/2ef5hxl.jpg (Sorry my legs are pretty hairy, it's cold and you know how showers are exhausting.) Most of the bruising is on my right leg, if you look closely you can see the ones on my left though. I also have one on my left knee that isn't in the shot.

This summer I had enormous bruises on my legs. As I had to undergo surgery I was sent off to hospital immediately to investigate. Nothing was found (pooh that was great news!). Later on I found out that scratching my legs (upper legs mostly) caused the bruises. I have no clue why, I scratch my arms a lot too but they usually don't get bruises. Lately the bruising is much less and my doctors aren't worried so I'm not either. That is not to say your bruising is similar to mine. If you bruise easily and/or are stretchy you might want to ask your doctor to do testing for EDS. It's commonly seen in people with POTS (dysautonomia). Hope this helps!

Edin,

Sorry to hear that you are going through this. I too bruise easily, unfortunately I do not know why. I always say, "I bruise like a banana." Mostly I notice them on my legs and occasionally on my arms. Sometimes I'll even have a sore spot and a few days later a bruise pops up. I don't know why it happens or even when in my case. Much like you, I just assume I bumped into something and just can't remember. My husband can squeeze my leg (in love) and next thing you know, a few days later, I have five little bruises pop up. I am forever telling him, "Be careful, I don't want to have a bruise!!" I wish I knew why. My mother always bruised easily as well. Dr.s have never really had an answer, nor ever really seemed to wonder why. I guess too, I always figured it might be some kind of vitamin deficiency, but have never figured it out. Hope you can figure it out, and if you do, please pass it on...the info, not the bruises :)

Be well,

Bebe

P.S. Never been tested for EDS, but I'm not stretchy, so never really saw the need. I am pretty flexible though even for someone that doesn't exercise regularly.

I have always gone through periods where I seem to have a lot of unexplained bruises on my body. Then earlier this year I had what seemed like a small stroke and the MRI showed a small bleed. Of course, the doctors insist the bleed wasn't in a location that would have caused the symptoms I had at the time so we have no idea what actually happened. During this time though I learned ibuprofen has slight blood thinning properties - not so much that the average occasional user needs to be concerned, but enough that those with certain medical conditions or those already on blood thinners are advised to avoid it. I can't help but wonder if my periods of bruising coincide with increased ibuprofen use for pain. I only recently have begun using ibuprofen again so this hypothesis is untested.