Lost My Dog Today...

SeattleRain

I've had to make that call several times. It completely ***** and hurts. In fact, I'm still pretty raw from a few of them. But the only solace I can take is they are no longer hurting, sick, and they are whole in body and spirit. I fully believe I will see them all again someday.

*HUGS* I'm sorry for your loss.

Ryan,

I'm soo sorry :( I'm tearing up just thinking about it. We had to put our 13 yr old yellow lab down a year ago. It's a heartbreaking decision to have to make too. As Becia mentioned though, we do it so they don't have to suffer. I looked at my dog one day and knew by the look in his eyes that it was time. Those paw prints on our heart stay with us forever.

Allow yourself the tears for now & know that we are thinking of you. (((Hugs)))

• 4 weeks later...

I've lived through that 2x in the past 8 years... both for cats I had that lived to 23 each... was so so hard on me emotionally--and if you didn't know it already, emotional stresses will hit your body just as hard as physical stresses. Hang in there as it will take time to get through for you.

So sorry, I lost a dog, Windy, my Schnauzer, and had to make that difficult decision back in February; after 5 months, I rescued another terrier, so time does heal. I know it is raw right now, and difficult, because dogs have unconditional love for their owners. That's why dog is God spelled backwards. It will get better. I even saved her ashes. She is on our mantel. My sons are grown, so she was our baby. We had a cat, too, and she would sit on my lap constantly after it happened. She missed her, too, and was consoling me. They are so intuitive; much more than we give them credit for at times...I will say a prayer for you.

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry you had to go through this, it is amazing how attached we can get to a pet.

Unfortunately in this case, I am a vet...and have done this hundreds to thousands of times. My first of my own 3 years ago was my 3 year old border collie mutt that had cancer. Talk about crying like a baby! I put my 18 year old cat down with cancer in March, and just brought home meds for my 14 year old cat with cancer. She doesn't care right now, but it will be soon...

What I tell my clients is that I truly don't believe animals were meant to suffer - if they were on their own, nature would've never let them reach the point we get them to. It is our job to end their suffering. In my heart, I believe it is a gift to them to pass when they are truly hurting.

Hugs to you.