Dr Oz Show

gertie

• 2 weeks later...

I have watched a lot of Dr. Oz and have started to not trust him. I have seen too many shows where he shows some thing that helps with something, only to see him contradict himself in a different show. I don't know if he gets money for pushing certain things or if he just likes to show what ever is popular. I feel that he is more of an "entertainer" than a real help. They only show happy endings on his show because that is what people want to see. POTS doesn't have a happy ending. He may be a bit like Dr. Phil who gets to call himself Dr. because when he was sued for misrepresenting him self as a Dr. and misrepresenting facts, he won in court because he was classified as an "entertainer" and didn't have to be a doctor or even present accurate info.

I am afraid if Dr. Oz did something on POTS, he would show us the "cures" for it, make it look easily fixed and leave us all worse off as far as people understanding what we deal with. That is what happened when some station had a show about Linda from NDRF. While it gave some good info, it left people thinking she was cured. I had more people call me and tell me I was going to be fine soon because they watched it.

I'm not impressed with the Dr. Oz show. It seems to "dumb down" everything in the last year. Plus, he spends about 5 seconds on one topic then jumps to another. I wouldn't feel that he would do POTS justice.

Regarding his show, I wish he would get away from all the weight-loss concentration and really go into disease and illness. I would love to see his show spend like 30 minutes a show highlighting someone's illness/disease and their journey with it, even if it wasn't cured.

I remember the show on syncope. At first I thought it might be informative but in the end he seemed to brush it off as if it is nothing. It reminded me of a neuro I had once that when I told her I had syncope & it was a scarey thing, she just said, "don't worry about it".

It seems Dr Oz thinks everything can be fixed with a supplement or weight loss.

Here and there he seems to discuss helpful supplements to take, but I agree: He focuses too much on weight loss and he doesn't really get into substance. Even his alternative health shows are terribly limited. However I do think it would be great if we could send some sort of group message, like a petition, requesting that he address Dysautonomia in a serious way, perhaps having one of the experts appear to discuss it. It will not get the coverage it deserves, but it deserves to at least be recognized.

He would probably just say "the key is to eat a lot of salt and drink a lot of water". That's what I hear from every doctor at every visit as if I haven't been loading on both EVERYDAY for 2 1/2 years. But I'm sure that's what he would say, and throw on some compression socks. There's nothing deep going on there.

Dr. Oz seems to do a lot of fear-mongering...If you don't do this, you'll get heart disease! If you eat this you'll get cancer! If you use mineral makeup it will stay lodged in your lungs forever! I agree with Jan, I don't really trust him because he does seem to jump on whatever trend is out there and then talk about how everything gives you cancer. It woudn't benefit him to talk about POTS because i'm sure it doesn't reach a big enough audience for him -__-

The old Dr. Oz when he started on Oprah was pretty accurate and good at explaining, so would have been perfect. Plus he's a cardiologist so probably knows a little about POTS already. Over the years he become a lot more commercialized and less medical, maybe to get ratings and sponsors. Too bad.