Anyone Else Have A Hard Time Distinguishing This

I am new to pots and am finding a hard time sometimes telling the difference between a brainfog and actual dizziness/lightheadedness. For instance right now my bp is good and hr not too bad but my head feels so lightheaded and foggy. I mean is brainfog just another name for actual dizziness or is it completely different altogether? I had been doing a lot better for a couple of weeks but now the last couple of days I have been itchy all over(without hives) and having major lightheadedness/brain fog. Does any one have any tips for combating the 2?

I do not have any tips. I get dizzy upon standing, and my brain fog comes with standing too long.

When I stand for lengths of time, and push it, I pay for it with an assortment of "brain symptoms". This can last for a day or more.

I do not get the itchiness, but if I stand too long I am more likely to have my hot flashes and they last. My blood pressure stay up with these hot flashes, and I am hot to the touch. My temperature is normal or low though.

It was explained to me that there's vertigo (feels like room is spinning) which is different from dizziness (aka presyncope...that sort of black-outy feeling before fainting). For me I consider "brain fog" to be that general "out of it" feeling that is neither dizziness or vertigo (lol!).

What testing have you had done? The hives/itching could be a lot of things, but have you looked into mcas/mcad? I know several members here have that as well. Are you taking salt and staying hydrated? Those definitely help (mildly). Are you on meds? Do you wear compression stockings?

I also always considered "brain fog" the inability for me to think straight or my forgetfulness, cant find the right words, forget what I am doing or going, etc. that is totally unlike me because my brain is normally overactive and always had a photographic memory. For me, I feel dizziness is when I feel the room spin, I feel off balance, feel like I am moving when I'm not.....those type of things. Of course dizziness caused by lack of blood and/or oxygen to the brain can make me have both at the same time and maybe this is what you are having so it can be confusing.

I have only noticed itchiness when I am standing and the blood pools in my legs, sometimes it makes my lower legs or ankles itchy but it resolves when I lay down. Also sometimes feels like a bug crawling on my leg when there is nothing. I always assumed it was the blood flowing down my legs or maybe my veins but dont really know.

Have you ever had the "medicine head" feeling from something like cold medicine? Especially, the feeling of not being able to really focus, remember after taking nighttime cold medicine? To me, that's what brain fog feels similar to. For me, it's more of a mental feeling than a physical one such as lightheadedness or dizziness.

This reminds me of when I got officially diagnosed with POTS. My first visit with my EP Cardio was very detailed and asked many symptom questions. He kept asking me if I felt sleepy or tired......over and over. I dont understand the difference between the two! Honestly. Maybe he forgets being deaf leaves many holes when it comes to describing things but still to this day I dont understand the difference. Maybe it's like that with dizziness and brain fog for you? Just a thought.

If I'm talking to a doctor and they ask me if I'm experiencing a symptom and I am not sure, I ask for their definition of the symptom or how I would know I have that particular symptom versus another one.

Yes I guess from your symptoms I am experiencing the dizziness/lightheadedness lately I definitely do get foggy head where it's hard to concentrate sometimes as well and also get that same feeling while I'm dizzy only sometimes when its hard to concentrate I don't feel like I might pass out but at times when I do feel that way I guess the dizzyness is mixed with it. No I do not wear compression stockings but do make sure I am always well hydrated and eat salt accordingly if I need to. No meds for now I have completely changed my whole lifestyle and it has helped. I no longer eat any processed or GMO food and cutt out wheat, dairy, peanuts, soy and egg as I tested positive for allergies so I eat a lot more fruits and veggies. I also drink fresh brewed pure green tea every morning and have 1 1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar every other day. I have been on this routine for months and have been able to function much better I still get elevated hr standing of course but my all over body pain has decreased and energy level and physical tolerance has increased. But suddenly the last few days I'm feeling blah again. Not sure why not sick and not due for my monthly cycles for 10 days usually don't start to feel worse until a couple days before and then during. I struggle with headaches a lot though. I also seem to notice getting worse head a headaches and body pain wn with weather changes. Thanks for the support guys.

My brain fog feels like my IQ drops a ton. It's difficult to think clearly and connect thoughts. I have difficulty making decisions. I was truly afraid for years that I had just become stupider and nothing would make me smart again. Fortunately, that is not the case. I actually cried when I started the IV saline and discovered one morning I felt smart again. LOL.

Rosey, I too am a human barometer. Weather can absolutely affect my symptoms. In fact, with really severe storms that have those strong, front-line pressure systems, a minute or two before they actually hit our location, I have had the pressure change drop me to the ground weak, feeling unable to breathe, and like I might throw up and pass out at the same time. Then the winds and rain start and within a couple minutes I'm back to just normal bad-weather crappy. The first time this happened was scary, but eventually I made the connection and try not to stress over it as I know it will pass with the storm.

Maybe we should consider renting ourselves out to weather stations. We can verify the severity of their storm forecasts for them. :P