Compression Stockings Weigh In

Bigskyfam

Instead of an abdominal binder I use the "foundation garments" (something along the lines of spanx but cheaper). They help with warmth as well as the blood pooling issues and are more comfortable in my opinion than a binder. May not provide quite as much support though so a binder may be better in that regard.

If you search this forum for the topic you might find some good ideas of places to order stockings from as there have been other discussions on this as well.

I don't really see a differences with the heart rate with them (or the beta blockers for that matter), but the stockings and binder have decreased the frequency of some of my symptoms (like syncope) since I started using them.

Like Chaos said, it might be good to search the forums for ideas on compression stockings. There are many different brands, and many different opinions on the different brands.

I order my compression hose from Discount surgical.com. I wear thigh high and the compression strength that was recommended to me by Mayo Neuro was 20-30mmHg.

What I notice when I wear the hose and abdominal binder is that I am able to remain upright for longer periods of time before getting symptomatic.

Janet

I have a couple of pairs of thigh-high 40/50 - Juzo and Medi brands. They're REALLY strong and quite a workout to get on. I actually kind of wish I'd started at a lower strength but this is the only level my doctor would prescribe, and since they're covered by insurance it's way cheaper than buying them myself. And they do work! My HR is actually noticeably lower when I wear them, by 10-15 BPM. I usually have to put my legs up in my chair almost immediately when I sit, but when I wear these I can sit for a while with no problem. It's easier for me to stand longer. Occasionally I do have some trouble with them - it's a kind of funny lightheaded feeling that I'm almost sure is from wearing them, but I don't know why. It only happens every few weeks though. I have slightly less trouble with the Medi pair sliding down and bunching behind my knees (which is really uncomfortable), but since these are my first two pairs I don't know if those are a brand thing.

Welcome to the sexy world of compression stockings :rolleyes:

Sadly yes the abdominal binder does bunch a bit around the waist. I guess I have gotten used to it though so the bunching doesn't really bother me. I think the amount of bunching depends upon whether you are short or long waisted.

• 3 weeks later...

I wear Jobst Relief 20-30 Thigh high and they have been a miracle for me. Before the blood pooling made me unable to walk after about 2pm. The secrets to them staying up are: 1) when you wash them you must use detergent and a toothbrush to scrub the silicone dots. 2) these are graduated stockings so they need to be firmly pulled up on the calf with multiple pulls before proceeding to go further (I am not explaining very well but there is a point that the compression gets a bit less and that should be at the knee. I love mine---tried the panty hose hard to get on and the on and off and on and off to use the bathroom---too much trouble.

• 6 years later...
On 11/22/2013 at 11:58 AM, Psalm 23 said:

I order my compression hose from Discount surgical.com. I wear thigh high and the compression strength that was recommended to me by Mayo Neuro was 20-30mmHg.

What I notice when I wear the hose and abdominal binder is that I am able to remain upright for longer periods of time before getting symptomatic.

Janet

Yes, they also provide good support for my legs. Especially for the pain relief of leg varicose veins, it is very effective, which makes me feel more comfortable when standing for a long time. I often recommend this practical men compression socks to my friends.