Finally, A Med That Helps!

margiebee

So I had a REALLY bad episode (mental health and physical health wise) and wound up in the hospital. Which was good, because they managed to get me started on a medicine that they thought might help both problems, and I was stuck in the hospital which meant I couldn't google the side effects (ha ha).

So, although I now know that the withdrawal is "****" thanks to Dr. Google, I've started on Effexor XR. And I feel AMAZING. From the first day I took it I instantly felt my fatigue and pains start fading away, which I now know was from Fibro. Now I'm about a week in and I feel great still, good energy level, no pain, no depression, and my blood pressure is up!

Honestly, even though I know about some of the less than pleasant effects, I do not care because this med WORKS for me. Plus, I've already withdrawn off of benzos which from what I can gather is the most "hellish" withdrawals can get. So if anyone's doc suggests this med, don't be too scared off, because if you're like me and everything else has failed, it might help!

Hi Margie, it sounds like your trip to the hospital was a miracle for you! How exciting to be feeling so wonderful. I agree that if a med helps like this one is helping you then the other stuff that goes along with it (side affects, etc) isn't worth worrying about right now. It's so great to hear stories and updates like these! Congrats on feeling great, I'm glad you shared this!! :) :) :) :)

Thank you everyone! Honestly, you can't even imagine how many meds I've tried and failed on. Before I went in I wasn't taking anything, because they couldn't figure out what else to try with me. So really, I hope nobody here gets too discouraged. This whole thing can be a long journey, and I'm still figuring out exactly what's wrong with me (add fibro to the list, hey), but I really believe we'll all get there.

That's awesome that Effexor got you those results. I was started on Effexor a while back and am now looking to have to change, likely to Cymbalta due to a recent Fibro diagnosis. I'm currently maxed out on Effexor (350mg a day), maxed on Lexipro (20mg a day), and klonopin. None of it has really seemed to help me much.

Your success in finding the right med that works for you is the perfect illustration of how crazy and difficult these conditions are to manage and how important it is to never give up until you find the unique combination that works great. Your story gives me hope.

Badhbt, I've totally already mentally prepared myself for the withdrawals, even though we're hoping I can stay on for at least a year or two. Good thing is that I've gone through withdrawals for other things previously and I seem to be the type that bounces back pretty quick, so I'm not too concerned honestly.

But thanks everyone! Zomglawlz, I bet you Cymbalta might be a hit for you. They told me it works even better than Effexor, just worse side effects going on (but I'm sure you can handle that, haha). I think there are so many different "types" of dysautonomia, and at least in my case it seems I had to find the one thing out of hundreds of things that could help. Trial and error seems to be the key

Margiebee,

Excellent news. Alas I have not been so lucky with anti-d meds. But I am pleased to hear of your most positive response. Got a laugh out of you not being able to google the side effects as you were in hospital. I never google side effects anymore or read that section of the patient info sheet until I feel I've got a side effect. It's saved a lot of grief.

Gangzlolz,

Sorry to hear that you have had such a bad time with meds. You make a great point, really spot-on, about ' how crazy and difficult these conditions are to manage.' Hope you get some good response with Cymbalta.

blue

I'm so happy for you!! :) I'm sorry to hear you had to be hospitalized, but I am happy your situation was taken as seriously by the health professionals as it deserves to be.