Dental Checkup & Cleaning

gertie

Has anyone had any problems while having your teeth cleaned? It's stressful for me but have managed to keep my appt's over the years, mostly because I'm a fanatic about clean teeth. The hygienist used what I understood her to say was an ultrasonic scaler because it saves her a lot of time. I have had it used before in previous cleaning for short spurts on places hard to clean but this time she used it for the entire time.

I thought my heart was going to beat/flop out of my chest. It was so erratic I didn't think I would make it through the procedure & the noise trauma to my ears was horrible. I started feeling nauseous before the procedure was over but managed to finish. At the time I didn't connect my heart rate to the ultrasonic device but now I wonder if that was the problem. My HR is never normal, always skipping & adding beats but this was misery. It took me a min to get out of the chair when it was over. I was so shaky I could not write a check at checkout. Sorry this is so long. thanks for your input.

I read this about the ultrasonic dental scaler, and effect on the body:

"High intensity noise can also affect physiological system. Exposure to noise can cause an increase in blood pressure, quickened pulse, and constriction of blood vessels. It has been found that hand reflex time to stimuli lengthened after human subjects had been exposed to noise, and precision movements of hands and arms were also affected."

Found article here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1601-5037.2007.00217.x/full

Not sure if this is what you experienced or not. I hope you are feeling better now.

I had some trouble with dental cleanings too but I have never heard of that device. I went to an appointment in April and they actually had lowered the chair so that I was laying past 90 degrees (which I didn't realize until I tried to get up) and the vibrations from the cleaning were making me severely nauseous. I was really afraid to go back. At the last cleaning a month ago, I communicated with them about my condition and how terrible the last appointment was for me. That appointment was easy and I was able to walk out of there with no problems. Maybe you can say something about hypersensitivity and ask what accomodations they have for you based on your condition. Talk to them about your concerns and hopefully they will work with you.

FYI -- if you ever need to have a dental procedure...

I had a tooth extraction last year and they gave me epi for the numbing medication. My heart rate jumped 100 points in about a minute. There is another numbing medication that is available without epinephrine in it, however, it takes longer for the bleeding to stop after the procedure Is done. That's the only difference but totally worth it. With the epinephrine numbing I thought I was a goner

Take care

Sarah

As you probably already know problems with dental procedures are common in Dysautonomia.

We're you anxious about having the procedure done? If so, you may want to ask your doctor about an appropriate benzodiazepine such as Xanax to help relax the nervous system.

For many of us hypersensitivities to sounds, vibrations and pain are also problematic. This has been an issue for me. I have found it helpful to take a double dose of my regular antihistamines plus a benedryl as I have MCAS. I do this prophylacticlly and now don't have a problem getting my teeth cleaned every 4 mos with a similar scaling machine.

There are more mast cells located in the areas of our body which come into contact with the environment such as the gut, eyes, nose, mouth, etc. The dental region, especially gums and roots of teeth, when irritated may release histamine which could be part of your reaction. This does not necessarily mean you have abnormal mast cell activity. If you don't suspect abnormal mast cell activity you could probably benefit from a small dose of antihistamines such as taking a single dose of benedryl or a dose of Claritin and Pepcid.

• 1 month later...

Oh, the ultrasonic descaler is pure evil. A few years back I went to a new dentist and the hygienist went to clean my teeth with it -- yeow! After just two teeth that was the end of that. We've tried it a few more times and nope, it's not going to work for me.

Similarly, I have major problems with the angle of the chair. My head has to be above my body or else I get very dizzy and nauseated quickly.

On epi, I've traditionally not had problems with it, but my current dentist is too leery of my body, so we usually go without. They usually slap a pulse-ox monitor on my finger any time I'm in there for anything and use my pulse to determine when it's time to take a break or change techniques.

Well, I'm glad to see this post. Now I don't feel so ridiculous! My dentist appointments have been horrible on my nerves the last 2 years. I have never really liked dentist appointments, but I never used to come out shaking like I do now. And they are really good, no reason for me to be shaking.

I haven't seen a dentist since I was a jr in high school, and my teeth show it, unfortunetly. I wish I could just have my teeth pulled and have dentures, because I'm totally dreading ANYTHING that has to happen with them, given my POTS and hypersensitivites, and the fact it seems bad teeth just run in the family, and I certainly got the bad end of the stick. I have to see a dentist within 90 days for my insurance, so I'm taking everyone's suggestions here and writing them down to try.