Well, that makes two of us in my family. My

It just keeps getting better. About a month ago, my brother passed out at his workplace. He was experiencing high blood pressure along with the passing out. He's had problems for years, just like me. He's had numerous diagnosis, but continued to experience problems. He just got back from his cardiologist, one I'm going to look into getting, who knows all about POTS and said that is what my brother has. He's doing a tilt table Tuesday to confirm, but he's sure that's what's wrong with Terry. I told Terry weeks ago that I thought he had POTS. He didn't want to hear it. He said that after seeing what I've gone through all these years, he didn't want to have what I do. I think he's mad at me, like I wished this condition on him. Anyway, my father was adopted, so we don't know if POTS came from his family or not. It didn't come from my mom's side. My other two siblings have no POTS symptoms. Just us lucky two.

Does anyone else here have siblings with POTS? I've read about parents and children having it, but any siblings? I worry that my two kids are going to end up with full blown POTS. They both exhibit symptoms. Is it really that hereditary? Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Linda

Hi Linda,

I don't want to discourage you but we are 8 children in my family and 7 of us are diagnosed! In my father's family there are 14 children and 9 are diagnosed! More than 1/2 of my nieces and nephews are officially diagnosed! What a family!

Never new that fainting was abnormal until I went to NIH. I even argued with the doctor telling him that every human being faints. Can you imagine that! It took me 3 months to realise that fainting was a disorder.

Ernie

Hi Linda,

Yes, in my family we do understand each other and we do help each other out. I just happen to be the most affected.

We worry about our young ones because we know that there is 50% probability of getting it. In reality 85% of my family has it. In my family it is highly hereditary.

One of my niece who has POTS just had a baby 4 months ago. We hope that he won't have it.

I like to be with my family because I am "normal" (if you know what I mean!)

Ernie

Wow, I had never read about this being a "family" affair.... but I sure have wondered. My mom came down with very similar symptoms about the same age I started. At first we thought it was Menopause, then she saw a Neurologist and thought it was MS. Several years ago, her Neurologist said he didn't need to see her anymore. She has recently admitted to me that MS has never been found.

Now I am sick and my younger sister is sick. They can't find what's wrong with my sister. I am begining to wonder!!! I'll post a separte question about one of my sister's symptoms. My mom refuses to get more testing or see any new doctors.

You've given me something to think about!

~Roselover

Guest Mary from OH

I (obviously) have POTS. My mom has symptoms but refuses to get tested because she said she'd never live through the TTT!! LOL. My daughter is already suspected of having POTS (she's almost 6), but they won't do a TTT that young, THANK GOD!! And interestingly enough, my husband has vasodepressor syncope!!! So, my poor daughter is cursed anyway!! So, our family is fairly ANS laden. I think I may have an aunt, uncle and cousin who are "undiagnosed" too.

I have three sisters and one of them is also diagnosed with POTS (she's ten years younger than I am, but we were both diagnosed within a year of each other). Hers is very mild and she lives a very normal life--and even runs marathons, etc. I had a terrible bout with it in 2002-3. My symptoms are now mostly mild. Both of us find great relief from a low dose ssri. I have another sister whom I suspect has POTS. She is also in denial, and gets angry when I suggest it. I think she too is afraid of the prospect of such a diagnosis. She also has a lot of strange GI problems that have never been diagnosed.

I suspect my maternal grandmother had it and I suspect my mom has a very mild case, that has just never disabled her. My grandmother was very sick post partum and had problems with fatigue her whole life. Regardless, she lived a normal life span, btw.

So, yes, in my case too it is all in the family.

Katherine

Four generations of fainters here too !!

My niece, me and my brothers, my dad and most of his 6 siblings, and my grandfather.

Until a few years ago - like Ernie - we all thought we were "normal" too.

Many thought they had low blood sugar. Many of them are still in denial also and will not even discuss it.

Without giving names - if anyone else has family roots in northern Ky near Maysville or Bracken county - or southern Ohio -send me a message. I would love to know beyond my grandfather which family it may have been passed from.