Cooling Vests

Hope

I'm pretty sure I have read all the old posts on this one. And they were "old". I'm wondering if anybody has any new opinions on the vests that they have been using. It is probably an odd time of year to buy one, but after the summer I had I want to make sure I have one on hand at spring's first warm temp!

I guess I'm a little vain and I don't want to walk around looking like I'm wearing a bullet proof vest, but the lighter looking ones all seem to be the kind that you soak in water. So do you walk around feeling wet and clammy in the kind that you soak, or is there some kind of wicking material that is dry against your skin and clothes?

I do sew, so I am thinking of possibly making one myself with pockets for slim ice packs if it comes to that. That route just doesn't seem real effective if you are out and need a recharge though.

Any opinions with experienced cooling vest wearers would be appreciated!

I ordered one, but it was SO heavy, I couldn't wear it. But what I did was get some re-freezable ice cubes (liquid in little packets), wrap them in tissue and put them in little pockets I sewed into the inside of a cheap vest. This way you can just take the number you need, it's not heavy, and not expensive. :)

I have a CoolSport vest, which was my first, and I replaced it after 8 or 9 years with a Glacier Tek vest. I had to replace the CoolSport b/c it got ruined in my garage by animals that had gotten in and made a nest in the container it was stored in (stinky).

Personally I prefer the CoolSport over the glacier tek. GT vest gets damp with condensation whereas the CS stays pretty dry. I also find the velcro on the Glacier Tek vest irritates my shoulders and neck--the velcro is just too close to the edge of the straps --which is not a problem if you're wearing a shirt with a collar and sleeves, but I usually have with a t-shirt of tank top.

They are both heavy--but stay frozen WAY longer than conventional ice (several hours --at least 2 hours in 90+ f. temp with high humidity). For me if I have to buy again, I'd go back to CoolSport

This is interesting.....I had never thought of wearing a vest. If I wear the coolie neck scarf it seems to help tremendously, I learned that when I use to ride my motorcycle. I thought one needed to cool feet, neck, head , back of knees and wrists in order for the body to cool down. Feet is my key!! I've been known to slip ice cubes in my shoes while I'm sitting at a restaurant :)

If you call them, the Coolsport folks will give a discount to those using the vest for health reasons. Please note I have no personal affiliation with the company--I simply am a customer.

I bought a cool vest in the summer from a lovely lady on eBay UK who has MS. She was very helpful and told me a lot about the use of hers. I was so pleased with it as in extreme heat I was overheating badly. I used just the ice packs at the front as my belly area gets the hottest. I found instant relief and was able to literally 'chill' nicely. I know I will gets lots of use out of it. The lady who sold it to me is now a friend and so I got a new pal and a vest!

Weird how my torso gets too hot in summer and my limbs freeze in winter. I use lots of thermal layers and extremely thick thermal socks. It's getting the balance right.