Morphine Lessening Oi Symptoms?

KareBear

I have been put on morphine for non-dysautonomia reasons and have strangely noticed that it drastically decreases my orthostatic intolerance. I've tried looking up info on this but cant find anything. I know no one else is probably in my same predicament but has anyone else been put on a med for something else that coincidentally improves some of your dysautonomia symptoms?

Everything else is still acting up but it somehow seems to help my BP.

Tylenol # 3 lowers my HR, but then a slow HR is listed as a possible side effect of codeine (the main ingredient in Tylenol # 3).

Here is an old, yet interesting article on morphine and its cardiovascular effects:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC301677/

The Cardiovascular Effects of Morphine THE PERIPHERAL CAPACITANCE AND RESISTANCE VESSELS IN HUMAN SUBJECTS

I usually have low BP, never have had a high BP reading ever. I got the same thing from the link when I read it so maybe I'm just weird or could just be complete coincidence that it seems to increase my BP. I assumed it should lower it and that's why I posed this question. I had an opposite reaction to Midodrine also when I was prescribed it years ago, it bottomed out my BP so much worse that I couldn't even lift my head. The doc just stopped the med and said some people react differently. I felt that was strange though.

Hi Kara,

If you are in quite a bit of pain, this can cause your blood pressure to go higher than normal. This happens with my son. I have noticed his readings are much higher when he is in more pain (150/90). However, I glad to hear this may be giving you some relief. Just be careful with the dosage.

Rachel