Had a moment of complete loss

Sue

Hi!!

Talk about scary!! I went to the store the other day with my son, we were only in the store for a few minutes. He went to go get the car and left me at the front of the store to wait for him. It only took him a few seconds to go get the car, but in the moment I found myself scared to death, didn't know where I was, what I was doing or who I was waiting for?? When my son pulled up he said I had such a dumbfounded look on my face he got out of the car to get me. As fast as it happened it was gone!!!!!!!

Has this ever happened to anyone????

Sue

Hi, Sue,

Yes, I've had episodes when my mind is actually blank. I never believed that a mind could actually go blank, but mine has, especially with this latest POTS episode. I can't remember what I was doing or even names of close family members. I guess this is a symptom of POTS that's talked about at http://home.att.net/~potsweb/POTS.html. It says,

"A poor memory is a major symptom of POTS, and many patients will have a difficult time just remembering their own symptoms while conversing with doctors."

Cognitive impairment is one of the symptoms Dr. Grubb lists, with difficulties with concentration, brain fog, memory and / or word recall as explanation. I would suspect that loss of reality for a moment could fall under that, as well, or loss of where one is at.

I guess this only makes sense if a large percentage of blood is in one's legs instead of the brain, where it needs to be for us to be able to think.

Does this make sense?

Linda

Guest Mary from OH

Oh yes!! Sometimes, I try to joke it off and call it early onset Alzheimer's (I'm only 36) - which I shouldn't because that isn't funny, but if you knew me, you'd understand because I'm not the kind of person who usually makes a joke.

It's actually very embarassing for me. I've broken down in tears because of it on more than one occassion. It frustrates me. I have a PhD and I can't even hold a meaningful conversation half the time because I forget what I'm going to say. Or I've forgotten entire events, etc. During the time when I was extremely sick, there are entire time periods I have totally forgotten. My mother would tell me something and I would INSIST that I knew nothing about it and that she was wrong, etc. Later I found out that she was right and that I literally had no memory of the event. I also take Topamax, which is a migraine preventative. It causes difficulty finding words, etc. Like I need help in that regard??? Thanks a lot!! One day, I told my neuro that I feel like I'm a blubbering idiot. I used to be a learned educator/psychologist and help people, write reports, be a speaker, etc. Now I can't even finish a sentence. I was crying. He told me he could tell that I was an intelligent woman. I told him I certainly didn't feel like it.

People who are close to us and understand our disease, do understand. Those that don't and won't listen, forget them. If they are not willing to be educated, they are the one's that are ignorant, not us!!

Hi Sue,

I've been there as well. Waking up, not knowing where I was what day it was, whether I had to wake up the kids because I didn't know if they had to go to school or if it was the weekend! I once woke up because of a loud noise not knowing where it came from and when I noticed it was my alarmclock I didn't know how to stop the noise, so I just hit it and after a few tries I was glad it stopped. And there have been some other occassions which I (ofcourse) forgot :rolleyes: . Like Mary from Ohio I'm trying to make fun of it, but it isn't funny at all. It sometimes scares me to death.

Lately I thought I'd hidden my son's birthday present, and at his birthday I couldn't find it anymore. When I called my husband at work he told me I had asked HIM to hide it and that he showed me where he had hidden it. I didn't remember a thing about that. I also have problems writing, can't remember if it's said or sayed i.e. and so on and so on. I feel very ashamed by it, but I won't let it stop me from talking and writing to people. I explain them my situation and hope they will understand.

Wish you good luck on this, I know how hard it must be on you!

Corina

Hello all,

Happens to me all the time now. YOUSED tobe s mart as awhip n spel well two. No really I find myself in the same position. A friend of mine calls it Sometimers. It has become progressively worse past few years. Quite noticeable to friends not just family. Oh well part o' the deal I guess.

Slainte` Kite 7

I quit driving back in 2002 because on 2 occasions I got lost driving home from work.

The scariest episode I have ever had was the morning I woke up and didn't know where I was. I also didn't know who that was in bed with me - luckily Hubbie slept through this episode. That morning I was in tears and SO scared. I now know why people with amnesia get lost for years at a time. If I had been able to find clothes I probably would have left the house because I was so extremely frightened. I still lose blocks of time but just short periods, maybe 1-2 minute intervals.