Going down, down, down again. Just when I thought

Hi, everyone. I've been feeling really good for the last week or so, since I started taking Florinef. Then, my family doctor started to lower my Zoloft. That was okay. I had some anxiety, but that was it. Yesterday, I felt good, so I vacuumed, did stairs, helped move some furniture, made supper, etc., virtually everything I haven't done in months! Well, last night, after I took my lowered dosage of Zoloft (about three hours later), I began to have some bad anxiety and couldn't sleep. Then, around 2 am, I awoke with a start and started to have tachycardia, irregular beats, sweaty feet and hands, shaking, chilling, had to pee badly, which getting up only made my symptoms worse. About an hour later, I began to feel better. I felt like I did two months ago, when my POTS problems all began. I could have cried, but I didn't have the energy. Will it never end? I am so depressed right now. I thought I was getting better. I thought the Florinef was my miracle drug. I thought, wow, I can be normal. Now, I feel like it will never end, that I'll always be sick, that I'll always have to limit my life, like I'll never be healthy. I guess, knowing POTS, I never will be, and that stinks.

Was it the lowered Zoloft, all the extra activity or both that set me off? I just want to crawl in a hole and not come out again.

I'm sorry to go depressingly on and on. Could you all please let me know what you think caused this major setback? I'm still not feeling very good today, lots of irregular beats. I feel like I haven't made any progress in getting better in the last two months, like I"m right back at the beginning. I feel like giving up.

Please help.

Linda

Linda Joy,

Oh no, I hear where you're at, my med (midodrine) doesn't seem to be helping anymore, although it wore off more gradually,and it's a scary feeling, like being stuck out in space and thinking "what now?" I don't have experience with your meds, taking my first dose of florinef tomorrow morning, but even when the midodrine was working, if I overdid it it didn't work. Those are rough moments. In your case I definitely think it could be both factors, I would call the doctor and try to distract myself with something till I would feel on steady ground again. You probably overdid. I do that too. It makes me think I'm well, but then I usually crash. But I'm really accomplishing a lot more now that I don't put pressure on myself to do everything. (Even people without POTS get wiped out from too much sudden exertion!) Sometimes i say that i think i was put here in this world to learn patience because it's been a big challenge for me in the last few years.

lots of love, hopefully by the time you read this you'll already be feeling more like yourself

ariella

Linda,

You sound so much like me! I hate the words "You probably over-did", but it's usually true. I too have so many disappointments. Sometimes the good days are hard to enjoy because I fear the let down when I drop again. I'm starting to change my expectations though. I think this is a challenge for all of us - grieving the losses, changing our expectations from "healing" to learning to do things in a different way. I've learned to do things differently, now I need to learn to enjoy it!

Sounds like others have experiences with this in lowering SSRI's so that might be some of the answer too.

I'm crying with you... and sending you love and support. Hang in there girl!

Love Roselover

Thanks, everyone. I'm sorry to be such a wet noodle. I guess I was expecting too much too soon. And, I'm starting to get more of this from my family: When are you going to get better? Haven't you been sick long enough? I thought your medicine was helping. My mom doesn't even get why I can't travel three states away with her this month to visit relatives. I'm feeling worthless.

I just want to cry. I'm beginning to hate nighttime because, one, I can't sleep and two, the attacks are so much worse at night. I'll go now before I make everyone depressed.

Again, I'm sorry to be so down. I know I have to just keep doing what I'm doing, not overdo, etc. I haven't learned my limit yet, I guess. I'll say it--I wish I could know what it's like, for just one day, to be healthy: no severe allergies, no POTS, no fibromyalgia, no hypoglycemia, nothing.

Thanks, everyone, for letting me cry on your shoulders. I'm into my third month of being really down with POTS, and I think it's just starting to really get to me.

:lol:

Hope you're all doing well.

Linda

Linda,

I've heard others say this and since you have been so kind to me, I think I can be the one to say it this time - don't apologize for sharing your down times. That's what we're all here for... AND we all understand! I know it doesn't depress me more to hear someone elses struggles. Actually, it gives me purpose to be able to support others that are as down as I am!

I hear you about others not understanding. I am so sorry your family is putting unrealistic expectations on you, but remember... they are unrealistic. But just hearing it from others here helps you be more confidence in the reality. The reality is, this illness has flares - unpredictable flares and there's not a lot we can do. When you can't - you can't and even if your mother doesn't understand it, it's the truth.

Linda, I will pray for you tonight. Don't know if you are a praying person, but I know I hate dreading nightime. My heart goes out to you and I hope you have a better night tonight.

Sending love and support... and once again I say, please don't apologize for needing us. You have been a very kind and supportive person and it is a pleasure to listen to your troubles and encourage you back!

~Roselover

linda joy, I think you did too much. Maybe you still need the original dose of you medication. Don't get discouraged. A healthy person without pots would be tired and feel off doing what you did in one day. Try to take it easier and don't give up. If you did all of that, you must be making headway. Stay positive. Linda

Guest Mary from OH

Linda-

Don't ever apologize for venting! That's what we're here for!! It sounds to me that you were so excited that you were finally feeling a little better that you overdid it!! Unfortunately, that means you will have to take a few baby steps backwards. I think we all do this! I know at least I do!! All the time!! And every time, I kick myself!!! And I promise myself I'll learn from it and not do it again. But somehow, I do it, again and again....

I think, like you said, we get sick of being sick!! So, when we feel even a little bit better we go into overdrive because we don't know how long it will last and we have a lot of time to make up for and so many things we want to do. Then we over do it and end up getting ourselves sick again. It's a viscous cycle.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Relax for a few days!! It's Mother's day!! Enjoy!! Don't feel guilty and you'll feel better again soon!! (but then, take things in moderation!!)

PS - Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!!

I have been reading about POTS and SSRI's, I am out of my lexapro because of the wonderful mail order AETNA has. Been off 2 days and I am going way down quickly. Why are you lowering your dose? Not only do the SSRI's help the depression it also helps nerve conduction. Talk to your doc about going back to the dose that was working

I hope you feel better, and you know you over did it if you were moving furniture g/f.

Hugs and Prayers

Janine

Hi, Janine,

My doctor is taking me down on my Zoloft dosage because I'm on 100mg a day, and it's actually been giving me anxiety. She doesn't think I need it at all. I do, but in a lower dose. The doctor who originally prescribed my Zoloft prescribed it for panic disorder, of which I don't have. She didn't, and still doesn't, know anything about POTS. Anyway, I do want to try a lower dosage, like maybe 25 or 12.5, as I've read that SSRI's, in lower dosages, are very helpful, but my family doctor now is new, and I haven't really had much luck with her listening to me. I've been on 50 mg. for a few days now, and I'm still getting anxiety symptoms from it. That's why I think I should go down on the dosage, but I'm not sure how far down yet. I do know the 100 is way too much. I can't sleep when I'm on that much, and it gives me restless leg syndrome badly.

Linda

Guest Mary from OH

Janine-

Your level will decrease dramatically. That is one problem with SSRI's (among other meds) It takes a long time to get a therapeutic level in your body and just missing one dose will throw it off. It will take a week or two to get back up to a therapeutic level. If you miss more, it will take longer. You may want to contact your dr. on Monday to see if they have any samples to get you through until your supply comes in.

Hugs

Thanks Mary,

I am waiting til monday, my doc is out of samples, cant even go pick up an rx at the local pharmacy because my insurance says Im not due for a refill til July. UGH. The Pharmacist tried to get a mail order delay overide. Just one of those wonderful insurance things. No cash either.

I am patiently waiting for my short term disability check to get here. I have excellent std insurance. Pays 70% of my salary and the transition to long term will be smooth. But right now, no income since March 14th. Im down to rolling change. But the bills are paid. Cant complain too much and i dont care about food, cant eat cause of nausea.

Hubby is on top of my depression. Thank God for him!!!!!

Beautiful day today. Hubby got me out and on my horse, had a wonderful trail ride in the sun and we got the garden planted. It is so strange not to be able to sweat....

Thanks All For Caring...... and keep up with your ssri's

Janine