Shingles Question

Hi All, Hoping you are having a nice evening. Just wondering if any of you have had long term shingles? I have had mine since July 17th. The worst was the first five weeks, but I just can't get them to go away. Sometime they are inside, then other times outside on the skin. Of courses my GP can't figure out what's going on. Took all the prescribed meds, now wondering if there is anything natural to try? I refuse to take anymore Vicodin, just using Tylenol. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Have you tried using Capsaicin cream, topical cream? I've heard it's supposed to help the pain from shingles. I have never had shingles or even chickenpox before so I have never used this. I just know of family members who have so it's just an idea. I know it must be terribly painful so I hope you find some relief!

I believe the cream is 0.025% applied up to 4 times daily (not on broken skin though), but you may wanna check this out first to be sure.

Good luck with your shingles. I get them several times a year, and have for decades. What anti-viral are you taking?

I take Valacyclovir. 1000 mg every every 8 hours.

If I catch mine quickly the anti-viral helps a lot with the pain. I've also used Blistex. The kind sold in a little tube for cold sores.

There is an prescription cloth pad called a LIdoderm patch that people swear by for shingles. I've used Flector patches, but not when the skin is broken.

Good luck, hope you get some relief.

I have always said l-lysine is worth trying for anyone who has problems with any of the herpes viruses. I used to get shingles/cold sores horribly badly, but a friend suggested lysine (OTC at any whole foods or health/supplement store) and anytime I feel either coming on, I load up on it. For me it's a miracle! Always check with a doc., etc. I believe (can't remember where I heard this) it can be a little rough on the stomach and/or cause slight constipation...I usually take magnesium and have both with a meal and it's generally fine.

I experience episodes of post herpatic neuralgia periodically and have found Lidoderm 5% patches applied to the affected areas helps the pain. The patches can only be applied to intact unbroken skin however. So for painful under the skin shingles areas lidoderm patches may prove helpful.

Janet

Omg you still have shingles!? I remember when you got them, thats awful! Seriously, I would soooooo go to an immunologist right about now if that happened to me. Thats too weird.

Who told you it was the Shingles?