Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
artluvr09

How To Beat Extreme Fatigue?

I am a 21 yr old female. I just got my time of the month yesterday and today I had to wake up early at 6:00 because my mom had a drs appointment that I had to go to. For some reason I am just so so tired where I have no energy and I feel moody and depressed. I have no idea why though. I also feel so disoriented like a zombie and I feel unreal like I am in a dream. Has anyone else experienced this? I mean I feel disoriented a lot basically 24/7 for years now but today is just worse and I feel so tired its hard to keep my eyes open. I feel like im in a dream and cant wake up. Is it the dysautonomia acting up? I am not sure what section of dysautonomia I am but one doctor has thought Neurocardiogenicsyncope but I have never fainted. I am also really sensitive to heat. I get lightheaded easily. Has anyone else experienced the same thing? How do you beat extreme fatigue like I am experiencing. My cardiologist said I can't have caffeine so that is out of the question and I can't take naps during the day because I wont be able to sleep at night. Advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

It's not a quick fix, basically make sure you eat properly and sleep 8 hours a night. It takes time to adjust to a healthy sleep cycle. Days where you don't get enough sleep will throw you off. At least this has been my experience.

Guest Alex

Artluvr09,

this is a tough one and I've been trying to find something to help me for quite a while. My diet is pretty healthy (or so I think) and I get plenty of sleep at night (sometimes I feel like I need too much sleep), and I still struggle with this symptom. I drink plenty of fluids (dehydration can contribute to the overall tiredness), tried vitamins (particularly B12 and D - I can take the D but I get some weird symptoms from the B12), yet my energy levels are still quite low. Have you had your B12 and/or D levels checked - it could be a vitamin deficiency, and that's usually easy to fix with supplements.

Also there has been a recent thread where Adderall was mentioned - see link below. I have no personal experience with it, but I plan on asking my doctor about it.

http://forums.dinet.org/index.php?/topic/24215-energy-levels-stamina/?hl=adderall#entry226564

I hope you find something that works for you. Also, welcome to the forum :)

Alex

I'm taking provigil. I also have a diagnosis of Chronic fatigue syndrome.

In addition to everything Alex mentioned don't forget to consider iron deficiency. I developed anemia and had a vitiamin d deficiency after I was diagnosed with pots. When you are exhausted and don't feel well it can be hard look after your nutrition as well.

I wish I had a quick fix for you. :(

The timing of having your cycle start yesterday could be contributing also. That time of the month makes it even worse for me.

Thanks. Yea my disoriented is probably from tiredness plus I have anxiety too. I did have anemia when I was a baby and I had a blood transfusion. But my iron has been good since. Tammy it says in the purple writing that you are on atenolol. My cardiologist prescribed it for me last week because when I have some heart problems because I had a hole in my aortic valve when I was born had two open heart surgeries and I have slight leakage nothing too serious but my cardiologist prescribed it because the one place on my left side of heart is working too hard ors omething my mom understands it better is working too hard so he prescribed it. Did you get any side effects from atenolol? I just got the script filled today I haven't tried it yet I want to look at side effects. Thanks everyone!

Guest Hanice

Naps are great! I would encourage them. The more you sleep the more you heal and the more of a break your ANS (autonomic nervous system) gets! I would also think of adding nutmeg to your list of What-Not-To-Injest! It sent me to the hospital for two days!

It really seams to me like your system is in parasymathetic mode right now, which is good (I'm guessing?) , I bet your hands are a lot warmer than usual? And do you feel like you can think? Like you're stupified? This happens to me and I just say, I'm just in parasymathetic mode I guess". I think its just my body trying to get back into parasymathetic mode and in doing that, it goes a little too far..

I've heard conflicting information on caffeine. I don't mean to suggest that you go against your doc's orders, but you may want to look into it more. My cardiologist told me to stay away from caffeine but I have found that while too much caffeine does make me fee bad, a little caffeine makes me feel better. I believe it is because it is a vasodilator. The extreme fatigue I get is pretty crazy. It washes over me suddenly and I feel like a rag doll, can hardly keep my head up. I drink a cup or two of tea and it helps. Getting cold helps a little too. I don't like to be cold, but when I am really wiped out I will lie down in front of the fan or take a cold shower and it gets my blood flowing better.

I've heard conflicting information on caffeine. I don't mean to suggest that you go against your doc's orders, but you may want to look into it more. My cardiologist told me to stay away from caffeine but I have found that while too much caffeine does make me fee bad, a little caffeine makes me feel better. I believe it is because it is a vasodilator. The extreme fatigue I get is pretty crazy. It washes over me suddenly and I feel like a rag doll, can hardly keep my head up. I drink a cup or two of tea and it helps. Getting cold helps a little too. I don't like to be cold, but when I am really wiped out I will lie down in front of the fan or take a cold shower and it gets my blood flowing better.

caffeine is a vasoconstrictor not a dilator

I found Mestinon really helpful for fatigue and dizziness. There are lots of posts on the forum with more details on this drug. I also find Midodrine useful too.

Artluvr09, I experience my worst symptoms during my cycle, and I have learned that getting adequate sleep is a major factor in how I feel. For example, when my family caught the last round of colds, it threw off my sleep schedule. I was fine for a few days but then the sleep loss accumulated and my POTS was the worst it had been in a month. It restabilized after a few nights of adequate sleep. To me it makes sense to me that the two factors - cycle and getting up early - contributed to the state you're in.