Heart Rate Increase As Time Has Passed

It was around 2006/7 that I first noticed that my heart got faster when I stood up and that I started not feeling myself. When I was first checked, my heart would rise about 20/30 up to around 120. As time has passed, my heart rate is gradually getting faster upon standing. I noticed it going up to 140s then 160's every now and then. Gradually overtime, it is creeping up and staying up with extra high rates (200 or so) thrown in every so often. It is now in the 170's when I stand pretty much all the time in the mornings for around 3/4 hours each day and I feel like I have run a marathon. I thought I felt bad before but mornings are severely killing me. In the afternoon it peters down to 120's and then late at night it's 130/40's.

Why does this happen and has anyone else noticed this?

Hi Tinks,

Sounds like you need to be wearing a heart monitor so the doctor can see what's going on? This does not sound unusual for POTS but it needs to be checked into by a doctor. Have you change medication? My son did and he is having trouble with a high heart rate.

Rachel

Guest Hanice

I'm sure its your Chiari Malformation. Have you gotten back to your NS? What is the latest news on that? I have been thinking about you, and hoping you've been okay.

Hi Hanice. I went to see a NS who said my chiari is only 5mm so not causing my symptoms. I didn't even tell him my symptoms so he just used the scan to judge that. The first neuro said my symptoms were caused by the chiari but he did listen when I told him the symptoms! Frustrating!

I have only recently been put on florinef and midodrine so that can not be the cause of the increase over time. I'm still getting dizzy etc on the meds with no change in heart rate at all.

Guest Hanice

How does a doctor expect to correctly diagnose someone without even listening to them?!!? I think you need to find a new NS. How could that doctor not even listen to you? Have you had pots all your life? I'm sure you told me but I'm sorry, my memory isn't as great as it once was!!

Edited by corina

Tinks- my short answer is that yes my heart rate increased over time. Now it is usually low.

I'm going second looneymom's advice to get it checked. My heart has been very healthy in the past but if something feels "different" my cardiologist wants to hear from me. The idea of a heart monitor sound like a good one if you are noticing changes.

My general internist has also reminded me not to assume everything is dysautonomia-related.

Good luck.

Here is my experience.

If I happen to be less active for a while (spend more time in bed because I feel like crrr...p) I notice that once I'm up and running again (so to say) my baseline and my standing HR tend to be slightly higher for a while, then things return to "normal". I know the idea of deconditioning has been discussed here on the forum many times, and some agree, some don't, but I can tell that in my case, the more time I spend being inactive, the higher my HR readings are going to be afterwards.

I'm the wrong person to comment on the Chiari, but if you feel like this is an issue the doctor you've seen hasn't addressed properly, then trying to get a second opinion should help. As Rachel and Kayjay mentioned above, a Holter monitor doesn't sound like an unreasonable idea. If i were you I'd definitely want to have those readings in the 200's investigated, particularly if they are not your "norm". Also, are you on any meds? Anything that may have triggered such a reaction?

Good luck and I hope you get some answers soon.

Alex