Does Anyone Use Oxygen At Home?

KareBear

I have really bad migraines and can't take any meds for them so I researched and found info about O2 for cluster headaches and rarely for migraines. I asked my neuro for it and she agreed. So I have a tank and use it at flow of 5-6 liter per minute for 15 minutes when I have a migraine. Sometimes it helps a lot, other times not as much and once in a while it doesn't help. I haven't noticed any benefits for other symptoms. It is not a nasal thing, but a face mask. PM me with any questions you have.

Can you tell me how you use it, and what it helps for you? And please, how do you use it for migraines?

Thanks!

Oh, and no side effects at all!!! That is the best part.

I think the O2 works in more of a preventative way for me. Because I stay on it 20-24 hours a day it's the constant flow of oxygen that helps. Before I would have migraines that lasted days and always wake from sleeping to a massive headache. Now I rarely get them at all. I have a stationary machine that runs all the time and I have a nasal cannula I wear at all times with flow set at 3 LPM. I think sleeping with it on has helped the most.

I've only received oxygen occasionally when going to the ER and it never really helped. (I usually go to the ER for tachycardia combined with chest pain and/or

hypertensive episodes).

Oxygen is a vasoconstrictor, and it reduces the peripheral blood flow, making it helpful for some POTS patients (particularly those who have problems with vasoconstriction). Also, since migraines are caused by vasodilation (expansion of the blood vessels) it would make sense that a vasoconstrictor, such as oxygen, should help to some extent. This may not work for a typical headache though as those are caused by vasoconstriction.

I hope this makes sense.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

i use o2 2 l at night because my o2 drops as low as low 70's but i do not have sleep apnia. i have been on o2 for over 2 years. but Kare Bear you meantioned not waking up with headaches. i have had severe migrianes for a long time. at one piont the cardiolagist found a hole in my heart and when that was closed the migrianes went away for almost a year. now they are back but different. i hadn't realized that the waking up in the morning with a headache was gone. i am also on axygen PFO during the day. i carry a tank in the car for times when my o2 drops for , variety of reason. afib, scar tissue from several rounds of P.E.s . i don't know what i would do without the o2. it has kept me out of ER many many times when especially this time of the year. also sometimes when the dizzyness is overwhelming the o2 seems to help.