Breathing Issues, Starting New Med *atenolol*

tpapik

Okay anyone here have breathing issues that start and you cant seem to get enough air? lasts about 2 weeks then im ok again ( atleast the first time anyway) I am in the middle of breathing issues to the extreme right now. someitmes i just cant get enough air , other times tight chest.

Anyway I believe it is the Nadolol I am on (nonselective betablocker) I did well the first 4 months but then in June hit with breathing issues. I had no idea why as I never EVER had breathing issues in the past . (well before POTS anyway) But I also have Lupus so breathing issues scare me and I had a chest xray, CT chest, and PFTS ( awaiting results of PFTS, but chest and CT good) Anyway I convinced my doctor to switch me from Nadolol (nonselective beta) to Atenolol.

I want to know how everyone does on atenolol? anyone have breathing nissues on it?

I dont even know if the Nadolol is the reaseon

and yes I am aware that if you have breathing issues with betas you shouldnt be on them at all- but im willing to try the selective one that focus's more on Just the heart and doesnt hit the beta receptors of the bronch. Anyway what are all of your thoughts?

and any advice or others with breathing issues I welcome too

I dont have anything educational to share with you but I do have support :-P I also have those jerk breathing issues that come for a long while then they go away on its own. I hate it. I need to buy an oximeter lol. I feel sorta like my lungs are stiffer and like they cant stretch enough. I feel for you! :-( This has been my biggest complain these last few days. Before that, it was my vision being severely blurry, that kinda went away and now this. I wonder whats next.

I take betaxolol which is supposed to be heart selective and I still have tight chest/chest pressure/breathing difficulty. I asked the doc more than once if I should try a different beta blocker and he said no. I've been thinking of upping my dose to see if it makes me feel any better. I don't know.

I tried atenolol and it dropped my BP too much so I felt tired all of the time and more dizzy, but I don't remember my breathing being affected too much.

I hope it helps you. Seems that the drugs for dysautonomia are just trial and error for which one will work and which one makes it worse.

Good luck!!

I take betaxolol which is supposed to be heart selective and I still have tight chest/chest pressure/breathing difficulty. I asked the doc more than once if I should try a different beta blocker and he said no. I've been thinking of upping my dose to see if it makes me feel any better. I don't know.

I tried atenolol and it dropped my BP too much so I felt tired all of the time and more dizzy, but I don't remember my breathing being affected too much.

I hope it helps you. Seems that the drugs for dysautonomia are just trial and error for which one will work and which one makes it worse.

Good luck!!

i am also on betaxolol and you are right about the selective property. i had shortness of breath when i tried other betas in the past (pre-POTS dx), but not with betaxolol.

I do have mcas but before I knew that I was put on metoprolol. I had some breathing issues from pots prior to this so I assumed the worsening of these symptoms was just my pots. Once mcad was on the table I found out that bb's are contraindicated and I stopped them. My breathing improved by about 50%. We waited about 6 months and tried propanolol just to make sure and it was definitely thebbs making it worse.

• 3 weeks later...

Toporol xl made my breathing worse. All beta blockers are contradictory in asthma patients to begin with. Also BB lower blood pressure which I think makes breathing worse.

There is only one med that lowers sinus tachy without bothering breathing but its not in America yet. Some potsies take it in canada and Europe and it helps, others don't like the side effects. A few ppl in America get it imported in, but none of my docs with write me a script for it.

I've read a bit about Ivabradine and while it seems to be getting quite a good reputation for POTS in Europe. Also, I've learned recently that it is not approved in Canada. Apparently there are some online "Canadian" pharmacies that sell it, and you definitely need a prescription to buy it, but it's not an approved drug. I know there is at least one dinet member taking it. Perhaps you can search the forum and find her - can't remember her name, sorry.

I am planning on talking to one of my doctors about Ivabradine in order to get his opinion if nothing else. Beta blockers lower my HR and make my POTS more manageable but they also seem to make my chest pain worse, so I'm looking for alternatives.

Alex

Corina is right that is the med I was referring to. So far I would say it has worked for 25% of the people I know who took tried it. But at least the ones that it didn't work for were not in danger of lowered BP like with a BB. About 50% didn't like it's side effects and the other 25% tolerated it but didn't find much improvement. After all high heart rate is a symptom and not exactly a cause. Just like cooling a fever doesn't rid the body of an infection. Ask anyone who has bradycardia and low blood volume or blood pooling how they feel..

I take a small dose of atenolol, 12.5 mg twice a day. It helps but I still have severe tachycardia when exercising. We talked about increasing the dosage but don't want to reduce BP too much, it's usually 80/55 or so. I haven't noticed any breathing issues on it at all, but sometimes do get chest pain.