Creatine ..... have you tried it?

Hello everyone!

A friend of mine recently told me about an article he had read in a fitness magazine. The article was about Chronic Fatigue patients who were taking Creatine and gaining energy, strength and stamina.

The interesting part about the article was that it mentioned how Creatine has the effect of fluid retention in the muscle. It may even raise blood pressure (for those of us with low bp).

I talked to my Dr. about this and he thought it was a good idea to try taking Creatine. Please let me know if anyone else has tried this.

I'll keep you posted as to if it helps with my bp, etc.

I know this sounds weird, but I'm getting desperate here!!!!

Lisa

"Creatines effects on blood pressure are an open question. Since it

has the effect of fluid retention in muscle, it might increase blood

pressure in the same way high sodium levels do, but this has not been

established or refuted. Also, it is expensive."

(This isn't from the article - but from a website I just found:) http://www.bla.net/opul/crfaq.htm

Lalisa,

If you're doctor is monitoring you on this, you might as well give it a whirl! I have looked every crazy herb, vitamin, tea, food, etc. that might help raise BP. I haven't tried them all yet, but I've never read that about creatine, so I'll add that to my list of possibilities. Thanks for sharing and let us know if you have benefits or side effects from this.

Gena

Hello All,

I have used Creatine for several years in a variety of regimens , However for dysautonomias my belief is that it is a benefit. The science behind Creatine is pretty strong. Basically you will retain water at the muscle thus , giving you more mass plus fluid retention. Creatine phoshate helps both with energy production and recovery. Having the extra stores in your body Basically allows for more efficient production of glycogen our bodies fuel , when we exercise or are under strenuous activity.

You have to be aware that the fluid retention with creatine can lead to dehydration because the fluid does lie in and around the muscle tissue until being used in the ATP-CP reaction so you must increase your fluid intake. Here in lies anther problem -- vitamin wash - meaning that by taking in enough fluid to make the creatine effective you may wash some or most of the RDA of the essetial vitamins and minerals out of your system , thus it is important to eat right , supplement right , and buy a legit Creatine with little waste - preferabley added Magnesium and Calcium.

Creatine is in our diet. We require it. It can be a very usful supplement but be sure to read up on it. Use it under direction of a certified trainer /nutritonist. It will do wonders if you are exercising - even just starting out. As for the nausea with it , you can mask by adding to smoothies or buy prepared powders. If it works for you the expense then becomes negligble.

Happy training Kite 7

Thanks for all of the input!

What if I am not training? I try to walk each day but I only walk a few blocks. Do I need to be "working out" to take this?

I am thinking of beginning light weight lifting and increasing my walking really slowly.

Any insight?

Is the weight you gain from the Creatine strictly "water-weight"?

Should I start out slow? How much do you all take?

Generally , yes the weight is water ; but not in the traditional sense as it lays in the muscle tissue rather than sub-dermal. You will notice an increase in lean muscle with any type of "resistance" program. Light is a relative term as it is more a consitencey thing that you should concern yourself with. Do what you can. Change your regimen / exercises up adding cardio. The more variety the more likely you aare to stick with , to hit different muscle groups and to realise the benefit of Creatine use. I always suggest to my Clients to begin Home use with a Swiss Ball (big blue stability ball , make sure to get the right size for YOU) some dumbells and soft Medicine balls (ie Danskin 4, 6, 8 lb). with this you can develop a nice little regimen of CORE exercises ( the most important) resistance , Cardio and not even being aware of it motor unit function ( another Creatine benefit). Remeber exercise comes in many packages - gardening , walking a dog , Craftwork , be creative and you will find that the ingestion of th right supplementation will benefit.

AS far as amount ; this depends on size and work , but generally 5 grams after workout. For people in this position I don't recomend any of the "loading ' or cycling . Loading is done so to allow enough creatine to lie in the muscle then not waste in an effecien amount of time. Cycling - it was thought this would help to maintain the effectiveness of creatine over the long term aswell prevent any Kidney damage over long term use due to the crsytaline structure of creatine. I feel confident , and most academic research supports, that likelyhod of Kidney damage to healthy kidneys is minimal and cycling is a preference. For Dysautonomia it is a benefit to retain fluid ; even beter if it can improve energy in the bioenergetic system. Only adendum watch fluid intake re:vitamin wash and suplement with a diet frought with live foods ie veg friuts , omega fats, and a good multi et al. Hope that helps

GOOD TRAINING Kite 7

I took creatine ("creatine monohydrate") in college (pre-POTS) on and off. I didn't really gain weight but it did help me keep up my energy when I worked out (running, lifting weights) especially at the end when my muscles started getting tired, I didn't drop off as fast. It didn't seem to have any side effects and it was inexpensive. The powder/ crystals don't disolve well so I would just dump a scoop in my mouth and wash it down with water. It doesn't have a strong flavor. I know salt helps so it's reasonable to think creatine would help too... I'll give it a try.

Jesse

PS hold on... no way! I still have a ton of it in the cupboard! :lol::o:blink: It's gotta be 5 years old. I guess it doesn't go bad? :) Wish me luck

Jesse,

Creatine does have expire dates especially if not stored right , so Iwould check before using it. It generally has half life kinda thing but you want "bang for buck" and good stuff should be on the pricey side really ( ie EAS , Lean Body , MetRX etc.). I would suggest trying a smoothie as way of taking it ; tends to help with the crystally taste. Add fruit like berries and you won't notice , or you can but pre - mixed Creatine drink powders in different flavours - more palatable and easier to mix than the straight mono hydrate ,as well , thry tend to have added supplementation such as Magnesium , Calcium , vit C etc. which is what you should look for.

kite 7

OK,

You guys are GREAT! Thanks for all of your insight!

Kite and Steph - are you both trainers? You sure are a wealth of info!

Kite, what did you mean by...."In my case I don't think it would've worked if I wasn't weight lifting, I think i probably would've peed it all out, but that's just my opinion."

Jesse, I'm excited that you are going to try Creatine again. Please let me know what you think and if it helps you to feel any better.

I really appreciate all of the information, :wacko:

Lisa

HI Lisa,

Yes I am a Trainer. My Wife & I have a Personal Training /fitness /Yoga studio. The training is all done on a one to one basis so that I can fit programs to the needs of each Client ; be they Athlete , Rehab , or general Fitness --- its great fun. I've been Training ,personally , for about 25 years , some of those at a reasonabley high level. I will say that I have learned more though in the last few ,not nessacarilly about weights , fitness etc . but the actual affect of exercise on the overall system. The Body is an amazing thing as simple sometimes as it is complex.

good training Lisa Kite 7

Is this a good Creatine? I feel really "in the dark" as I search for Creatine.

http://www.nutrabio.com/Products/atp.htm

Any suggestions on brands, etc?

Thanks again!

Lisa

HI Lisa,

I just finished reading the ad for this Creatine and it is filled with much factual info and some half truths. d- Ribose was supposed to be the nxet Creatine , the greatest new addition to supplementation , However it has never really panned out. It is Basicaly will increase your blood sugar levels and act as a sugar in the glycogen replacement during the ATP reaction. Sorry for the merry go round explaination it is excess fuel and does not benefit thru storage intramusclar like Creatime without the side effect of blood sugar elevation. As far as the Magnesium goes , what they suggest is true ; but again there are other brands on the market that have higher concentrations in their mix and for People with Dysautonomias Ipersonally believe magnesium in greater cocentration is of more benefit. It helps to stem fatigue by aiding in protein synthesis and nerve conduction , the latter being a biggy if you experience any tremor or crampimg like I do. ( Hence the superior typpping skills hehehe). THere are various Other things to look for in the mixes such as the additions of Amino Acids and I THINK the most , well, I think really the best and most efficient cost effective way to buy this STUFF is to go with the quality names EAS , LEAN BODY , METRX , AST , Ultimate Nutrition, etc, the reasoning is that with Creattine you do get what you pay for!!! I would also try to stay away from anything that you are un sure of , fads. YOU d- THIS or q - 567 -that etc. if it seems to good it si. If price is an issue , and with Creatine it is. buy all your health food needs at the same place or get your local pstore to order in. But buy Quality . If its any Help I use EAS Phosagen , Betagen (with HMB basically a metabolite of essential ammino acid found in mother's milk) and Lean Body. I switch between them for flavour and substance.

Hope this helps sorry for the spelling & typing Bad day

goood Trainin' KITE 7