Driving?

Hi -

I'm wondering how you all handle driving? My major issue with POTS is that I pass out all the time which is obviously a danger if I'm driving.

Do you all drive?

Thanks for any info...

Susie

Hi Susie.

Driving was my passion before I became ill. I don't faint, but driving does make me very symptomatic. For me it causes problems with my neck and shoulders, which can be pretty painful. My heart rate also increases quite a bit, though my blood pressure is stable. I bought a new car in May of 2002 and it only has 2,000 miles on it. That's how little I've been driving. I have no problem being a passenger.

I know there are many here who have problems driving, though they seem to get enough of a warning before syncope. Still sounds dangerous to me, so use good judgement and be safe!

Good luck, Dan

Hi Susie

I too quit driving a year ago. Only in rare situations will I even get behind the wheel. I am lucky I am in a big family and don't really have a problem if I need to get somewhere.

best wishes

Sue

No driving for me either!

If a parent can't take me...which I must have right now b/c I can't sit up to ride in the car...

I have utilized either taxi service or our ride program for the elderly and disabled.

I sold my car to my stepsister in spring 2002. I don't regret it one bit as I am a danger to others even on my best days!

Emily

I don't have problems with syncope and so I don't have problems driving. In fact, I love it. I do find myself lost sometimes. While my sense of direction is pretty decent, I space out behind the wheel and forget what I'm doing and where I am and where I was trying to go. I never feel a danger to myself or others, though; I'm a good driver and always know where other cars are in relation to my own.

Dan mentioned neck and shoulder problems ... so I'll add that my horrible posture behind the wheel definitely contributes to the pain caused by 2 bulging discs and cervical spine arthritis etc. Or rather, the posture caused the disc problems ... I try to practice my PT exercises when I'm behind the wheel.

Susie, do you pass out while seated?

best,

m

I stopped driving Januari 2004. I found myself a danger for myself and others. My reactions became much too slow and I was very afraid to get lossed (that I wouldn't know where I was). I had some unpleasant experiences not knowing where I was, what day it was and not knowing how to use electric equipment (like my washing machine, alarmclock, microwave etc.). I very much miss driving because I always loved it. Also, when going on vacation I loved to drive and that way my husband could get some rest. We were used to driving at night because there's much less traffic during the night.

I'm having troubles as a passenger as well, at every roundabout I feel like falling out of the car :P (so the children said: well mom, you've got your own rollercoaster now :P ). The mestinon made it some better. I sometimes have trouble driving my electric cart. I have to be alert in the traffic and I get very nausea and dizzy sometimes. I hate POTS for not being able to drive anymore.

Corina

I'm able to drive although I do not faint..... I avoid bust highways..Probably a 1/2 to 1 hour drive is as far I can go...

Guest Mary from OH

I am able to drive, as I rarely (knock on wood) pass out. I do; however, often feel confused or get lost or have to backtrack. I tend to drive to a lot of similar places so my car is on "auto-pilot" a lot. Sometimes, I get on "auto-pilot" to the wrong place!! LOL!!

Most of the time, I feel safe. My migraines are actually more of a danger for me most of the time with my driving rather than my POTS. Although, my POTS does effect my concentration. (or shall I say, lack of concentration!)

Hello ALL,

I find drivingto be difficult now and would agree with all posts. It is one of the most dis heartening things for me as cars have been a hobby for me for years. I especially find driving standard for any length of time a complete sensory overload !! The upside , and kinda bit of a turning point , when I was at complete wits end and My GP asked me about surrendering my drivers liscence and received a resounding agreement. It re-engized him to look deeper into all diseases. Thats how important cars &driving are to me. My fab GP trusted me and my wife though and after My 2nd visit to the Mayo , He did not take my priveledges away. I expected aletter each day for months thinking that was it ; but He has left it to our own judgement. I don't drive often and when I sense a problem pull off right away to wait it out , however long. Usually I do not travel alone. I still enjoy vehicles - just bought a new one Friday(from your pic jacobyd youd like it) - and I don't mind being chauffered around by my lovely Wife . However , the "ODD" time Mario Andretti or for you Canadians Jaques / Gilles Villeneuve likes to raise the HR & BP if only figuritively.

Start your engines Kite 7

I haven't driven in over two months, and I'm not very excited to give it a try just yet. My doctor said that if I have a POTS spell while driving, even though I get plenty of warning before I pass out, I'm to pull off to the side of the road and call my husband to come get me--I'm not to drive again for awhile. Well, I'm not real thrilled at the thought of being stranded, so I just don't drive. I get terrible neck pain and headaches while driving, then I get really tired, for days tired. It's better for me to just hitch rides with family and friends right now.

Linda

I am able to drive short distances, but I don't drive on the highway nor do I drive for more than 45 mins or so. After an hour of driving, I am not feeling well at all! I am thankful however that I am still able to drive some and get myself most places. Being able to drive totally depends on each person, the nature of their condition, and how they are feeling on any given day. I know that somedays I shouldn't drive because I am not feeling well, so I don't.

Hope that everyone is feeling ok.

Meghan :P