Muscle Atrophy

YES! My son lost 60lbs in 18 months. At diagnosis, the cardiologist said that he could nearly feel my son's spine through his stomach for lack of core muscle mass. The wasting away did not surprise the doctor. He said it can happen with POTS. Once my son is stable on meds, he will need to rebuild muscle in his legs and core. Muscle will prevent blood from pooling.

As POTS patients lose muscle, the condition worsens and more muscle is lost. It becomes a downward spiral. Be sure to discuss this with your doctor. It is an important issue.

I lost 40 pounds in a year, which I could spare. But since I wasn't trying to lose it, it was a little scary. I got down to my minimum on my weight range and so far I have stopped losing. Now I am maintaining and even gained five pounds in the last couple months. I definitely have to work on muscle building.

Building and keeping muscle is important. If you don't exercise, you can lose muscle. My son is only able to do isometrics but they cause his tremors to get worse. My son also drinks a protein shake to help sustain his muscles. My son is still able to sit up buy himself for about an hour before his core muscles get fatigued. If you are not able to sit in anything else but a recliner with your legs up, I would encourage you to try and sit up in another chair with feet down. It will help build up core muscles. If you can stand and walk, this is a better way of building up core muscles. Crawling can also build core muscles.