Any Pots Correlation With Seborrheic Dermatitis/rosacea/perioral Derm/eczema?

Hey all,

I'm new here and got a semi-diagnosis of POTS. It took about 2 years to finally find out what I had but I'm sure I had POTS since my adolescence. I'm 22 now. I've been reading up on tips and posts on this forum and found them all to be very helpful and informative. I'm doing a little bit better with those tips, interventions, and proper meds. However, I haven't found many skin condition posts other than cutaneous mastocytosis which seems to affect alot of POTSies.

I don't have that, however, and so I'm wondering if anyone has something similar to what I have.

-Rosacea (flushing on side of nose to chin, especially after eating or yawning)

-Seb derm on sides of nose (go away with H&S)

-Severely dehydrated and dry chin with flakes and mouth wrinkles (not seb derm because medication doesn't help and don't think it's sebum plugs either because the skin gets oily easily but seems dehydrated..gets real flaky after eating dry foods like bread)

Doctors are dumbfounded on the chin because they think of either eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, or PD. Medications to treat those conditions do not help.

Anyone have any of these skin conditions? Is there a correlation with these and POTS?

I have eczema and very mild rosacea. I have the common type of eczema on my arms but also dyshidrotic eczema on my hands and feet. I've had eczema since childhood, rosacea sort of appeared over the last 5 years or so, and POTS a little over a year ago (but maybe with some odd symptoms before).

I don't know much about the cause of rosacea, but eczema is part of the "allergic trio" along with allergies and asthma, so maybe there's a mild autoimmune connection. If there is any correlation with POTS, I would guess maybe both occur in people with at least a tendency toward autoimmune issues? I got eczema and rosacea from my mom's side of the family, and probably my susceptibility to POTS as well - there's a history of hypermobility, very low blood pressure, etc, so maybe that's support for a connection. But if there is a link, I'd assume it'd be weak, eczema at least is fairly common.

I also have REALLY dry skin and it definitely came on at the same time as POTS. I guess it could be dehydration? Lotion is only sort of helpful.

I also developed eczema (which I had never had)/other bad skin at the same time as the onset of my POTS. I always had bad skin, but now it's close to its worst a year in with the POTS. Interestingly the eczema is on my right arm, which is also where my blood obviously pools. I have small fiber neuropathy though... and I read that the skin changes can be correlated with where the nerve damage is - and I have been found to have nerve damage on that arm.

Yes, there's definitely some correlation between dry skin or nerve damage to the skin area and POTS. Could I ask you all if it's just one part of your skin/body or is the dry skin all over? Mine stays only on the chin area only. However, I notice I get scars more easily all over my body, due to poor circulation I am assuming, like diabetes and I also have slight hyperpigmentation on the chin that refuses to go away. Though, it's not exactly like cutaneous mcas, but more like a rosacea-type because it flushes, is dry, and gets irritated.

If we just have an eczema/dehydrated skin, is there no prescription moisturizer that can do the trick? Or is this something that we have to try to treat the underlying problem?

Very interesting. I'm glad I'm not the only one going through with skin issues.

I have no scientific proof of this, but I've kind of just assumed the dry skin goes along with my general struggle against dehydration with my pots. It doesn't matter how much I drink, I'm dehydrated. Moisturizing from the outside just isn't enough to make up for the systemic issues.

Easy scarring isn't associated with pots, but you may want to look into Ehlers Danlos Syndrome to see if you fit the many and varied symptoms of that illness which is considered a possible underlying cause of pots amongst many other strange symptoms (it's not all about hyper mobility.)