Yoga For Dysautonomia

Guest Alex

Alex, I do yoga as often as my body will allow--at most I can get in 3 to 4 days in a row before I need a days full rest. I also have made some adaptations for some poses for when I'm too POTSy, and I do a great deal either on my knees or flat upon my back on my mat. I believe yoga has kept me out of the surgeon's office for more spinal fusions--and had helped me to maintain my core strength and my total stamina to deal with life on a daily basis. For those with more severe hypermobility than mine, it may, however, be a bad idea.

As with all things dysautonomia, the treatments that work for you are highly specific to your individual situation.

I do Yoga twice a week to keep stretched and fight the chronic muscle tension I seem to have. I have my good nights and bad nights as well, my instructor know about my condition and knows I do whatever I can do each night and she is cool with that. I struggle with the up and down moves especially a lot of forward falls.

This is good encouragement for me. I keep putting off my yoga plan. I had another wisdom tooth removed yesterday, so today is NOT the day to start an exercise regimen. But I'm hoping by the end of the week. I have been doing more short walks, but I always feel better after a yoga session.

• 6 months later...

I think yoga is acceptable to help with POTS and it's found to be beneficial with ME/CFS. I would sound out some caution with inverted exercises as it can mess with the postural BP changes. I find changing position can make me feel too unwell, so it all has to be slow and gentle. Staying upright and not upside-down is also best if you have problems with glaucoma, like I have, as it sends too much pressure into the head and eyes.