My Legs Turn Purple When I Sit, And It Causes A Lot Of Pain

So, my legs and arms turn visibly splotchy and purple when I sit for too long (which is a problem, because I'm a Psychologist). However, I wouldn't care that much, but it also hurts- not like acute pain, but the pain you get when you have the flu, achy all over, wanting to whine a lot, type of pain. I've been prescribed pain killers for the last 10 years (dose has never changed in that time either, which is weird in and of itself), but I would like to be pregnant at some point. Any idea what else I can do? Stopping a therapy session or laying down while on the job is not an answer that will fit w/ me. I also have arthritis in the spine, which I just found out as well :( Any help would be much appreciated!

I've had this, and now make a point to try and elevate my legs on a ottoman or something. Even if they aren't "elevated", they at least aren't sitting on the ground and causing more pooling. Don't know if that position is comfortable for you (depending the angle, it can be bad for me since my legs hyperextended a lot), but its worth a try. As for during a session, may want to explain to the client you need to elevate them, if it seems weird.

It sounds lime blood pooling that comes along with dysautonomia for many of us. I can't think of anything other than using an ottaman as becia said for your legs (at least during a session.). You may want to keep a recumbent peddler (just the peddles of a bike that you can sit in a chair and use) that you can use even if only for two minutes in between sessions in your office. This may help circulate the blood a little. It will pool again when you stop but it may alleviate some of the pain. For your arms and hands, squeezing a rubber stress ball (which you might even be able to do during a session) may help with circulation and give you some relief.

Try some support stockings. Go with the 15-20 weight first to see if you can get use to them. My son wears the support stockings that look like knee high socks. He has stopped pooling in his calves and feet. It's really helped him with his condition.

trublu,

take a look at the images in the article below:

http://www.ipej.org/0602/raj.htm

blood pooling in the legs is a common finding in POTS and from what I read it can be painful.

Compression stockings and keeping your feet elevated should help.

Definitely bring it to your dr's attention as s/he may be able to help you with the right kind of compression garments for you. (some benefit from knee length ones, others prefer the high waist ones, or even from a combo stockings/abdominal binder).

I hope this helps.

Alex

I also agree. Compression stockings and meds eventually helped me to control a lot of blood pooling. I used to have a sitting tolerance of only a few minutes and gradually was able to work up more. I used to benefit from sitting with my legs crossed up on the seat of the chair or I would just sit on the floor. In professional situations where I couldn't do this I would sit with my legs crossed regularly and try to change my position as much as possible. I also sometimes sat on a low stool with wheels, which was great because my legs were naturally more elevated and moving (when I wheeled around).

I had a doctor tell me once to flex your legs, heels up, and pump your legs as best as you can (almost like if on pedal). This pressure helps regain some blood flow. I can now not sit anymore because of this, but during the time it began, these maneuvers were helpful.

I agree with all of the above - also sounds like you could have Raynaud's from autonomic neuropathy - dangling legs down is a definite "no-no" - I keep a little stool under my desk at work - I sit at a computer all day and I can still "elevate" my legs a little bit - my legs also turn splotchy, purplish, and feel like a gazillion needles are being stuck in my feet - always worse when standing or hanging legs down