Salt/sodium Tablets... Recommendations?

Becia

For those who take this supplement, what brand do you use? And what is the dose of sodium per pill? My cardiologist suggested I look into maybe taking these, but then couldn't give me a suggestion to brand or strength. I've looked on amazon for suggestions, but thought I would ask here first before picking a brand.

I'm not looking too forward to this, seeing as I have a sensitive stomach, but right now I'm willing to try anything, because my eating habits aren't supporting the sodium I need apparently...

That's okay. I've tried increasing via salting foods, salty drinks (apparently margaritas don't qualify, haha), but he thinks its just not enough. I'm really not satisfied with this doctor, and am seriously thinking of finding a new one, but I have no insurance at the moment, so this is a very limiting situation for me.

My son uses thermotabs which is a salt Supplement Buffered. He can take these any time of the day without food. Each tablet contains 452 mg of sodium chloride. My son also uses Sodium Chloride Tablets, U.S. P. These tablets contain 1.0 gram of Sodium Chloride. My son will take these after a meal or shake. Both of these products can probably be ordered online. However, the pharmacy I use, will order them and keep them on hand. To figure out how much sodium my son needed, I took his blood pressure hourly. My son is 13 and the cardiologist wants his top number at 110. Normal blood pressure is from 110/70 to 130/75. So when his blood pressure went under the 110 mark, I gave him a gram of salt. Right now, my son is using the Sodium Chloride tablets after meals and shakes. However, whenever we are traveling or out in the heat more than usual, I always have a bottle of thermotabs in the backpack. After taking blood pressures for a couple of weeks, I was able to figure that my son needed salt about every 3 hours.

I take 6 NaCl capsules per day (1 gram each), in addition to table salt on my food. The pharmacy has to order them in for me - I just checked the bottle and the brand is called Galenova. I can't tolerate taking them whole so I actually break them open and dissolve 2 grams at a time into a water bottle with a nuun tab to disguise the flavour. It's not the most appetizing thing but I'm pretty used to it by now. I tried to talk by doctor into reducing my salt intake at my last appointment since it's so hard to fit it all into my diet - but no... so I will continue to drink this sea water for now! Hope you find something that works :)

I second the recommendation for Thermotabs, especially if you have a sensitive stomach, because they're buffered. I tried the regular (unbuffered) 1 gram tablets a few times and they made me very nauseated. But with Thermotabs I can even take them on a empty stomach and I just take 2 if I want a full gram. You can find them on Amazon.

I like the nuun tablets that you dissolve in water...one tablet in 16oz/500mL has 360mg sodium, 100mg potassium, 25mg mag, and 13mg calcium. They come in a ton of different flavors and have no sugar.

http://shop.nuun.com/nuun-active-hydration

The only downside is that they are a bit pricy if you are drinking 2+ every day.

My alternative is to make a big pitcher of refrigerator iced tea (any kind you want...it's just to mask the taste) then mix it in a water bottle with baking soda each morning. (1/2 tsp for 1L, 1/4 tsp for 16oz/500mL).

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate...table salt is sodium chloride. All I/you need is the sodium. We don't need the extra chloride (in fact, there are some in the medical community who argue that excess chloride is harmful...at least when taken IV). Bicarbonate can be both manufactured and excreted by the body, so a little extra won't cause any real physiologic changes.

FYI...

1/4 tsp table salt (NaCl) contains 581mg sodium

1/4 tsp baking soda (NaHCO3) contains 308mg sodium

Most of the time I take 1/2 tsp. ( 3 grams ) sea salt dissolved in water three times a day. It's a Trader Joes brand. If I am out somewhere I find it easier to take sodium chloride tablets instead. I order them online from Sears. The brand is CMC and they are 1 gram sodium chloride per tablet. The sea salt is a way less costly then the tablets and seem a healthier choice to me. I take the salt at mealtime and I don't have any negative GI response from it. Your doctor of course would have to be the one to actually make his recommendation on how many grams of salt he wants you to consume per day.

Janet

You know , weirdly, my cardiologist told me to eat TABLE SALT, not just sodium in foods but sodium chloride specifically. I wonder why?

I ordered a box of Thermotabs yesterday to give them a try. Trying to get a "number" out of my doctor is like getting blood from a turnip, I haven't gotten a lot of helpful information just yet. Just the "You've got to drink more and get more salt." I'm a number based girl, tell me how many ounces I should aim for a day, then I have a goal to work towards. As for the salt, tell me how much salt you want me to have a day, give me a ballpark figure, anything to make this easier on my mind.

I've tried increasing the amount of sea salt I use, because it's a salt I can tolerate apparently. I was sitting there at the table a couple days ago putting it on a Hostess cupcake, of all things. I thought my roommate was going to fall off the chair laughing. I am a very bland girl, and very rarely do I salt and pepper things. I just now got to where I might put some salt on fries if I make them at home (at the age of 31, I still order fries no salt at the fast food places).

I am allergic to some of the ingredients in the NUUN tablets, unfortunately. We started researching those the day we found out, and it seems like any water additive like that is a no-go because of my allergies. I'm allergic to artificial sweetners. I'm tempted to buy one of them and give it a try, just to see how bad I might react to it, or if the doc can give me something for the effects (I get horrible, horrible migraines... they make people think I'm having a stroke, they affect me that badly), I might be able to use those in a pinch as well.

Thanks for the help ya'll and any other suggestions, I'm more than open to them :) I need all the help I can get right now.

I take thermotabs. 5 or 6 a day, we bought them i think at drugs.com and like 8 boxes that time so we wouldn't have to keep buying them and we got discounted for either the amt or price, i can't remember. They are much cheaper to buy online than at the pharmacy. They were making me nauseous at first but they don't anymore, since i learned to take them with food, even a small snack works.

Hi Becia,

Can you tolerate Stevia? I have a homemade Gatorade recipe that I make with stevia. You can add whatever amount of salt you need to the mixture. Let me know and I'll post the recipe.

Rachel