Muscle Spasms ? And Twitches ?

used to, not anymore; my magnesium levels must have been low (my blood levels were fine though) as my twitches stopped shortly after I started supplementing

I doubt they were POTS related in my case

Alex

Guest Hanice

It must be a pots thing because I get them on my lower eye lids and was getting them everywhere and like agreeky said, my tounge too. I can also tell you that taking magnesium REALLY helps me. Potassium too but potassium can be dangerous to supplement because it can do harm if your body don't need it. I would get my potassium levels checked for deficiencies. I always have low potassium levels so I take half a pill of 250.

I really think it IS all related..

Edited by corina
medical advice

I do, and was told by the doctor "You're naturally twitchy." Um... How come I am now, and I wasn't before? I don't remember being twitchy... Never really thought about it, unless it freaks people out (like, when I'm driving...which I'm not anymore).

Have you had a virus or an infection recently? The doctors and I figured out that my son's tremors or twitches appear after he has been sick and taken certain medications. Last summer my son had a sinus infection and in January of this year he had the flu. Because of a hacking cough, my son needed steroids for both illnesses.. At first, I thought the medications was the problem but evidently it has something to do with how his body fights the illness. The other clue to us was that my son could never be functional on the POTS medications. Most people can walk with an orthostatic tremor. I have actually seen my son do this. However his tremors and twitching seem to start up after a major illness. His tremors and twitching is from waist down. However, when he raises his arm, sometimes I see a twitch or a shaking hand.

His tremors and twitching come and go throughout the day. If he tries to do exercises, the tremors get worse. All he can safely do right now is isometric exercises. Exercises that require you to constrict your muscles. If your doctor that's treating you for POTS has not seen the twitching and spasms, I would go see him. He needs to see what is happening? Can you walk with it going on? If so it maybe an orthostatic tremor. My son has been seen by an immunologist and we are waiting on some test results. Last test results have indicated that he may have a specific antibody deficiency.

As far as this being related to POTS, I have read some articles that indicate that it could be. An orthostatic tremor can be part of POTS. The cardiologist that my son sees, thinks his is related to an underlying medical problem that has not been identify. If you will do a search on the dinet forum over tremors, spasms, or twitching, there are many old post that might explain what you are going through. Hang in there and try to get to your doctor.

Twitches were my worst enemy about a year ago. I was CONVINCED I had ALS. But after numerous neuro visits and me stopping the "google muscle twitches" and freak myself out for weeks they started to subside. Still have them come and go, but nowhere near what it used to be. Like others have said Magnesium is great!

I have had them my whole life, but they are worse since POTS. Magnesium helps keep them under control. Magnesium didn't help with my back. It was so bad that at the chiropractor, the spasming was more than their screen could handle. It was pretty painful. Through biofeedback, I was able to learn to "feel" muscles I used to not have a sense of and learn to relax them. Now most days (5 out of 7), my back doesn't hurt which is quite a relief.

The doctors and I are thinking the same thing for my son. All of my son's sodium, magnesium, and potassium levels are in range also. Hang in there fightagainstPOTS. My son's tremors and twitching have really slowed down. However, my son is on Strattera which has been increased and he's on the extended release Clonidine at night. My son is also beginning to sleep much better at night. So I'm not sure what has helped the most.