Anyone Have Experience With "necklace" Procedure?

E Soskis

I'm just home after 5 days in the hospital with a blood stream infection from my permcath and infusaport - unfortunately, they had to remove all of my hardware and I don't have anymore vascular access. The vascular surgeon is talking about performing a "necklace" procedure on me to give me vascular access for plasma exchanges. I've read about this and it sounds rather barbaric. Does anyone have any experience with this procedure - advice - tips - hints, etc...???

I'm not sure, I haven't heard of it. However when I was getting pheresis, if I had to stay on it they would of done something with the veins or arteries and some kind of access on the underside of my forearm. It would be under the skin and not visible. I can't remember what it was called. But the long time pheresis patients I met had them. I think they are suppose to be safer.

BTW are they keeping an eye on your total quantitative immunoglobulins and blood counts for anemia. They can drop, along with the increased potential for infection.

Yes - my blood count dropped while in the hospital but, it is on the way back up. I've had 5 surgeries on my arm to try and create a fistula but, unsuccessful due to my chronically low blood pressure. I'm very wary of this "necklace" procedure - it connects blood vessels from subclavian right to left and tunnels under the chest - I just don't know much about it and there is very little out there on the internet except for the procedure itself. I really would like to know the long-term implications and what type of life style changes I will have to make.

Never heard of that procedure, but I agree with diabeticgonewild above, sounds like you may want to ask for a second opinion.

I'm sorry to hear about your recent issues though, and I hope you'll be able to figure out what your best treatment options are.

Feel better,

Alex