Different Types Of Vertigo?

Agreeky

Hey all. Since January I keep having dizzy spells. In January and February I had a week long bout of benign positional vertigo. Now I get dizzy all the time though and it is not related to position. Also, unrelated to bp or hr. It always looks like objects are moving when there not. Been really bad last few days. I will be talking to somebody and I will get a rush of dizziness. It does not affect my walking I should add. I have had MRIs neuros etc. So is this still considered vertigo? What could cause it with clear MRI? I do get a ringing and deafness in my ears sometimes... Wonder if that could affect it?

Any meds you're on that may have be responsible? Also, have you mentioned these to your dr?

If you haven't already, try to check your BP/HR when this happens, it may be giving you some extra info. Your BP and HR may be low or normal or even higher when it happens, either way you'd have some extra clues for your dr when you talk about this.

Sounds like vertigo to me, and your blood flow to the brain may be what causes it - particularly with the ringing in the ears. A brain MRI won't be able to give you clues about it (or so I think). Perhaps you can ask for a transcranial or a carotid doppler. I've posted an article about that recently - in IceLizard's thread about feeling faint with normal vitals - it's a recent post and you should be able to find it fast.

Best of luck and keep us in the loop.

Alex

Thanks Alex! I have never heard of a transcranial doppler. Which actually surprises me because I have spent endless hours on the internet lol. My vitals are usually normal when it happens. I really wish I knew what was going on. Been 15 months of weird symptoms : ( I do get a strong pressure in my head when I stand. Could this be blood flow related?

Not an expert opinion, but my personal one, the head pressure could be blood flow related.

Let me know if you can't find the thread I have mentioned and I'll repost the link here - I just have to turn my computer on ;)

I'd definitely look into a doppler if I were you.

Alex

Vertigo is different than dizziness and is most often associated with something wrong in the ear/vestibular system. If you feel lime all the basic tests have been done, you may want to seek out a neuro-otaryntologist (sp? - it's a ear,nose,throat doc that specializes in the neurology of the vestibular system.)

Have you been checked for Meniere's? Research Meniere's disease, or syndrome. Vertigo can be set off by a number of things including your salt intake, hormone changes, stress, allergies, a passing virus, or some people can be set off by sound.

This site has a lot of info. http://www.menieresinfo.com/index.html I notice on some other sites they have limited info. A good Ear, Nose, and Throat Doc should be able to help if you haven't already been to one.

Thanks Alex! I will def mention this to my neuro in September. Btw I had an MRA last summer since my Dad has had an aneurysm. Is it similar? Hope, I went to the ENT but he only gave me a hearing test? Said it was good and sent me on my way. Is there any way to check for it? U had horrible ear infections as a child. Not sure if that means anything.. But I have looked into Menieres I could have it I think. Katybug thanks for the suggestion. I think that would be the next step after ENT. Westernmass what you have is likely benign positional vertigo. That could be inner ear as well. I had that kind twice after a flu.

I believe an MRA does measure the blood flow to the brain, does it not? I never had one so I'm not quite sure. I'd 'say it would be interesting to get a lying down vs a standing one and compare the two.

It always looks like objects are moving when there not.

I had this happen when i was taking fludro. It was when driving. I would have my foot on the brake, slowing to a stop, when i stopped it would feel like the car was still moving and everything around me looked like the car was still moving. It was absolutely terrifying. I would 'know' that the car was not moving because i could see and feel that my foot had the petal completely to the floor but all my other senses showed me that the car was still moving.

Oh i was kinda hoping you were taking fludro so you might have an answer- i only found out what was causing it when it stopped but luckily i stopped the fludro not long after that started. Im so sorry this is happening to you and I hope you find an answer soon too!

MRA won't show flow. You need Doppler or CT that uses contrast and images the flow from the IV site through the neck and brain vessels. Had the CT earlier this year. Totally uneventful. My geneticist wanted them to look for CCSVI. Only thing I find interesting is that my right major artery is huge and and left is really tiny which I know is normal for people to have one artery that's dominant. But my dominant side is also the side I get my migraines on.....it makes me wonder if there's a correlation. Neurosurgeon said no but I'm not sure I buy it.

Agreeky,

I also had very painful ear infections as a child. Usually after being at the Lake. My ENT said that he thinks a gray area in the bone behind my ear is scarring from an old infection? Anyhow, my ENT sent me for an ENG, an MRI and to the Neurologist, he had me shut my eyes and try to walk a straight line (LOL! I can't even walk straight with my eyes open!) He had me tested for different "old viruses" that might be lurking and I had 4, which I guess is a theory of where Meniere's can start (and probably everything else that's wrong with me). I used to work with 2 other women (it was a large hospital, and they were in two different parts, so it's not really ironic) that had Vertigo problems and they were also told theirs was probably from the old viruses they carried. I wonder if you could go to a different ENT making sure ahead of time that they can look for Meniere's.

My mom has some friends that are nurses, which has been a blessing for me, when I have some kind of health problem they seem to point me in good directions. Otherwise, I'm not sure if I would have connected the spinning carnival ride in my head with an ear problem. But there are so many "triggers", it can be hard to manage even with a good diagnosis. But it is progressive so it's important to find out if that is your cause so you can work on it as best you can.

I wish you well!

• 2 weeks later...