head up bed tilting- helpful or harmful?

i haven't layed down flat except for tests for years. and yes, i faint very rarely in the night, especially, as much as i get up. i use a 12" angle pillow turned upright, like this L\ and even use some extra pillows. you might also want to consider wearing light weight surgical hose at nite, i wore 30/40's during the day and 10/20's at nite. i no longer wear them at nite, but they helped back them.

good nite and sleep tight.

blackwolf

Hey,

I can only sleep on an incline now too. Flat beds make me feel like I am falling backwards and give me palpitations. I find that the incline reduces reflux and it stopped my waking up on my knees after getting out of bed every morning and passing out immediately after. I have reduced my palpitations at night, but still get them (I dampen the feeling of them with a stuffed animal or pillow against my chest). My back and neck have suffered from the position, but I think it is worth it. I did have leg swelling the first week and then my body adapted and I have been great ever since.

Sleeping with your upper half raised isn't enough. :huh: The point is, your whole body, and the whole bed needs to be on an incline. Your feet must be lower than your torso. :blink: seriously, it's working wonders for me! :) I've been out for 3 days with no stick no zimmer and no wheelchair! :lol: And all I get are some achy bits- I've not fainted once. It is AMAZING. I wholeheartedly recommend that everyone try tilting their WHOLE bed at night, just to see if it improves things. B)

The only thing I'm unsure about is how long this may last for. I don't know if it is a temporary or permanent thing... :)

Any ideas for bed tilting when I go stay with friends at Uni next weekend gratefully received! I'm dreading sleeping on a flat bed now! :(

You can buy what are called bricks (blocks) specifically made for elevating your bed to 30 degrees. If you can't find them in your area, try shopping for them online. I am so pleased this works for you. I might get some bricks and try them, because the multiple pillow thing is killing my neck and back. :)

Take care and best wishes,

Gena

Tilting the head of the bed up increases blood volume. On potsplace.com, it says the bed should be elevated 4-10 degrees. It takes about a week for the volume to be increased. I did this right after getting diagnosed with POTS. First I put books under the head of the bed, and then I got some plastic bed risers from Bed, Bath & Beyond for about $10. When I am away from home I haven't had any problem sleeping in a flat bed. To be honest, I can't tell whether it has helped my symptoms or not, but it certainly can't hurt. Just another easy thing we can all try which may help our symptoms. I have acid reflux, and tilting the head up is good for that too.

Persephone, glad you are feeling better.

Guest Mary from OH

I sleep with my bed tilted too. And 2 pillows placed under my head at just the right angles. One of them is the Memory Foam pillow (I can't think of it's name....)

Tilting the head of the bed up increases blood volume.  On potsplace.com, it says the bed should be elevated 4-10 degrees. It takes about a week for the volume to be increased.  I did this right after getting diagnosed with POTS.

Persephone, glad you are feeling better.

Thanks! 4 to 10 is a bit moderate--this cardiologist I saw was hardcore and had my bed tilted as high as I could stand it--I was at 45 degrees! I think I'm now about 30 degrees as that's more comfortable. You could give it a go, see if the sharper incline might help? I don't know if 4 to 10 degrees would really do all that much, as it's not going to raise you that much? Just a suggestion. . . :o