How Many Of You Can Work?

galatea

I can't work. I tried to go back twice since this started, once full time and once part time. But I would just end up just laying down on the floor for a couple of hours at a time, so I finally accepted it was time to quit.

It's really depressing. I'd love to get well enough to work again but I have no idea how I'd explain this to a future employer!

I lost the ability to work 8 years ago. For many years prior to that I worked part time but had to call in sick a lot towards the end.

I haven't been able to work for the last 18 months but keep hoping I'll improve and be able to go back at least part time.

I thought I remembered reading a statistic in the past that around 30% of POTS patients were so badly affected they couldn't work but that may be wrong. We may have a slightly skewed outlook on here since those POTS patients who are working probably don't have as much time to hang out on forums regularly.

I was a teacher many moons ago before I had children. I have been a stay at home mom since and I homeschool my children. I was dx. 4+ years ago. After getting sick, I always semi-joke that if I worked and my kids went to school, I'd have to quit work and homeschool the kids. I really don't think there is any way that I could work full time. I do teach at a homeschool co-op one day a week for 12 weeks during the school year (classes are held for two semesters of 12 weeks and I only teach one semester) and even that wears me out completely. Now I only go out if it is necessary and even then I have to back out a lot. I've never missed teaching a Friday though.

I worked full-time for awhile. But, I also lost multiple jobs because my symptoms made me a poor worker.

Now, I'm full-time working on a Ph.D., but I have no doubt that I could teach full-time if I needed too. Owing to brain fog and mental fatigue, I'll never be able to grade fast enough to work a mere 40-hour work-week, but no one who can get work works just 40-hours a week in America anymore so I'll stay late and grade papers while my colleagues go to their second job, or go home to raise the kids or whatever.

I've never been able to hold a job for more than 2 months, thats been since 16 and I'm 34 now...I really feel dissatisfied with my sucess outcome, and I always think about trying to get a degree in a profession that can accommodate my medical needs. Still debating on it :/... Glad to hear some of you are able to work even part-time I think its beneficial psychologically.

Before I was disagnosed in 2011, I didn't work for an entire year. I was working on a PhD at the time. I had to go on medical leave mid semester and I had no idea what was happening. It took a very long time to get a diagnosis, good doctors, and proper treatment. I started teaching part time last year and then took on too much last Spring semester and ended up on medical leave again. I just got a full time teaching position at a community college, and those positions are very difficult to get, so I am going to work incredibly hard to stay healthy enough to do what I love. I do average about 2 sick calls a month though unfortunately. I feel for those of you who are completely unable to work,

I couldn't hold down a job right now as I am disabled. Since my cardiologist confirmed that I my symptoms have been that of POTS since I was a teen, I have worked most of my life with it either in flower shops, or as a secretary. It was always a struggle, but now it would be impossible. I was actually able to obtain a doctor's note this week just for Jury Duty, and I like Jury Duty. I like being part of the justice process. I was only on one jury before, but I loved it!

Anyhow, like Bebe, I also homeschool my last child. I also have a small home bussiness I am currently resurrecting. I had started it before I became disabled. I do basic sewing alterations and repairs. I also started selling my wares on Etsy, but that is a slow process as I have not started advertising for that. I am trying to get my shop filled up first and it takes time, and ENERGY :wacko: to make things. In the future I would like to give home school lessons for basic sewing & crochet. I have a curriculum worked out for it, and I had been practicing with giving the youth of my family lessons before I became disabled also. I am hoping by next year to offer those classes to my home school groups. I figure if I never get better, I can do these things when I am up to it. And if I get better, I may be able to use my sewing skills to get back into the work force.