Atenolol And Klonopin

I was prescribed these a few months ago. I tried the atenolol and it made me very lethargic and it felt like my heart was flopping a bit.

I didn't take the Klonopin because I hadn't tried one in the last six years and had a reaction to it.

So my question is, I'm wondering if I should give it another shot. The doctor said that the Clonopin was given to "reset your autonomic system". I told him that I was not depressed and I was not anxious and I wanted to really understand the drugs that I was being prescribed. Is Clonopin the same as Xanax And are they truly given to reset the autonomic system or are they given for anxiety? As always thank you for your time

My son started it at the beginning of June. He was prescribed it to try to help his nausea. It is the first medication in almost 3 years that has been helpful. His nausea went from a 7 or 8 daily (on a scale of 10 being the worst), to being a 3 or 4. I'm not sure about it resetting the autonomic nervous system, but it has helped. We had success with doxepin in 2010 but it only lasted for 6 weeks. Ativan was prescribed last year, same family as klonopin, and it didn't help.

It's the first time I ever heard of klonopin as being a medication that is prescribed to "reset one's autonomic system".

To answer your question though, klonopin, like xanax is part of the benzodiazepine family, so yes they are similar.

I am biased here, so please take my answer with a grain of salt, but benzos actually messed up my ANS big time both while I took them, and particularly when I weaned off them. (I took ativan for about 6 mo and then klonopin for 1 year as I was told I have anxiety and panic attacks).

Weaning off benzos made POTS look like a walk in the park for me, but we're all different and some people seem to benefit from them.

Alex

Suthurngal, the first place I went to was the center in Birmingham. I live in Atlanta and I only went there once and found someone much better in Auburn to treat me. In Birmingham, yes they added klonopin and zoloft to metoprolol. They wanted to start me on wellbutrin but I said no as I had a bad experience with it a long time ago. They pretty much start everyone on the same meds, from what I understand. I am no longer on metoprolol, now on Ivabradine. I take 25 mg zoloft and .25 klonopin....I lowered the dose on both of those. The Klonopin at .50mg was wiping me out the next day. All I would do was sleep.

Liz

I used to think that klonopin was helpful- but I'm glad to be off of it now. It can increase dizziness. I felt that it really interfered with my short term memory. I was put on klonopin because and er doctor gave me Ativan and it was changed to klonopin by another doctor.

I wouldn't take it again.

I have also been on atenolol but i was misdiagnosed with a pheochomacytoma- so I may have been on too much. I take nadolol and I cut pills in 1/4's