Iron (Elemental)

bebe127

Hey there,

Wanting to know if anyone is on Iron (elemental)? My daughter is anemic and her dr. suggested she be on an iron supplement, and insisted that it must be elemental iron. For the past year we've been able to order it through our pharmacy (Irofol 150mg Iron (elemental)) but now they aren't carrying it anymore and claim that they can't find anything similar. I even asked if it would help to get the doctor to write a script and they told me no, that they have no way of ordering it in their system. What to do??? They suggested I look it up online and try to order it that way, but I'm wary of that as one never knows what they are really getting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

I'm curious what the difference between elemental iron and the supplements at the vitamin store which are ferrous sulfate, I think. I think looking online is a good option if the pharmacy and doctor both can not help. As long as it's from a reputable source it should be fine!

misstraci,

I don't know what the difference is either. My hubs did some research and ended up getting Iron at GNC but it's only 65mg. and my daughter's dr. wanted her on 200mg a day. I've never put her on the 200mg just because of all the warnings about iron overdose (plus she takes a woman's multi vit), she's gone up to 150mg, but now she'll just take two 65mg. There is such a huge difference when she is on the iron as opposed to when she was off it. I also make her a spinach + other yummy stuff shake to drink (gag down) every morning. I think the shakes are yummy, she...not so much :)

BTW, I think the iron my hubs got was ferrous sulfate. I just know when the dr. first told us to put her on the iron supplement, he emphasized that it must be elemental.

She is not allowed to give blood either, which in her case is good because she was also recently dx. with dysautonomia as well, although she does really well as long as she stays hydrated.

I'm sorry about your daughter, I forgot to say that to begin with, hope she isn't having many symptoms or problems. Glad that the iron helps though and that she can tell a difference being on it and not. 200mg sounds like a lot but maybe doing it for a short period would boost her up and then do a maintenence amount after that, I don't know though, like you say, the iron overdose warning would freak me out too. I kind of like the green shakes, it's the only way I'll eat my greens :) My daughter doesn't like them either, so, I understand that part. Hope you both have a good day!!!

misstraci,

The green shakes are a staple in our house every morning now. It's the only way that I can be assured that we get at least some veggies into our systems :) I'll tell you too that I've noticed a positive as far as GI issues go too.

Thanks for the thoughts on my daughter. She's a fighter and won't let anything stop her. She does really well as long as she stays hydrated. In fact, that's when we really started noticing the symptoms. She would usually get all shaky and tachy when she came home from spending the weekend away with friends where she wasn't watching what she ate, how much she drank and of course not getting enough sleep. Now she carries water everywhere and keeps packets of Propel to add to the water if needed. She is still able to do all the things she was prior. The whole dysautonomia thing is on the back burner right now as she has other congenital heart issues (PFO/VSD). We still haven't been back to the dr. yet to go over some recent tests. I'm assuming she'll go over the whole dysautonomia thing then. The one thing that the dr. told my daughter was to drink, drink, drink water and believe me, I do my part in nagging ALL the time. My daughter's dr. was the only one to actually take my daughter's vitals while supine and while standing. Not even my dx. EP did that to me. I was dx. 4+ years ago. I only told my daughter's cardio that after she mentioned that my daughter had dysautonomia and she even said that it is known to run in families. Hopefully, we'll find out more when we go in for a follow-up. Might even be able to see if my daughter's cardio knows of a dr. that treats POTS in adults. Here's to hoping :)