Grieving A Death Has Been A Trigger

bjbens

I lost a dear friend and neighbor of 20 years this week. My dysautonomia symptoms have hit hard - the weakness, fatigue, dizziness, lightheadedness, tinnitus, nausea, etc. I'm trying to make sure I'm mindful of the basics: lots of salt, salty fluid, rest, exercise, wearing abdominal binder... This morning I'm really dragging and didn't exercise at all - feel too weak and lightheaded. Have other people experienced this? Any tips?

Sorry for your loss--I spent all of last year in back to back to back grief, crisis and health battles including multiple hospitalizations.

All I can say is I tried to take some time to do things that calm my systems--such as restorative yoga classes (done mostly laying on floor in simple poses for several minutes at a time), listening to my favorite music, reading uplifting books, watching movies that made me laugh, and most of all--resting as much as my body asked me to (although at times I had to give up on the rest because of things like funerals/wakes/care taking rotations of relatives at hospice, or pain).

Be as kind to yourself as you can.

Nina

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I think it is not unusual for any kind of stress on the body, whether it is physical, emotional or mental stress to increase symptoms. Something like this is requiring a combination of all three types of energy from you (physical, emotional and mental) so it's very draining on the body and would naturally be a huge trigger.

Hugs!

First off I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing a loved one is never easy. I also have had my condition become triggered from stressful times like this. It's like a double whammy. You're dealing with grieving a loved one and all the stress and emotions that come with it and then your condition is triggered because of it. My symptoms are essentially identical to yours. Last year I went through a similar situation. I was able to get through it by talking to other family and friends on a day to day basis and keeping a journal. That really helped me with stress and coping and then less stress on my body. I feel like if I'm able to keep my mind and body calm this helps to prevent the triggering of an episode. Don't forget electrolyte water or packets and keeping your feet up or support socks. I hope that helps.

I'm sorry to hear this. Yes this will have an effect on your nervous system. I guess keeping as calm as possible and not think too hard. Try some relaxation or meditation. I know it helps me when I'm stressed. I hope it eases for you and you can get through this.

Thank you so much for the kind replies and words of wisdom. I'm still fairly new to all of this and was surprised at the intensity of my symptom flare-up. What you each say makes sense and I see a theme of helping one's body calm/relax after an emotional blow. I do workout when I can and I pray, but I may look into local yoga classes to round out my regimen. Thanks again!