Sodium Consumption, Source, And Benefits

Sodium Consumption  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was surprised to not see any polls on sodium intake.

I used to measure out my salt at the beginning of the day in a little dish. I'd sprinkle it on my food throughout the day, but don't always eat much so I had trouble getting it all in.

I found broth (and Campbell's tomato juice -- more sodium than V8) to be the answer for me. First thing in the morning I drink 1.5 cubes of some vegan chicken bouillon diluted into a pint of water. This gives me 2400 mg of sodium. I then drink 1 cup of almond milk because I love it, but it also gives me 270 mg of sodium. I feel like it gives me a base level of sodium to start the day and let my body hold on to the 2 pints of water I chase all of this with. My morning routine.

I've had good luck starting my day with this regimen, but always have wondered how much time I need to give the sodium to get into my system before it is effective at holding on to water. Is it almost immediate (I know people with high blood pressure say as soon as they eat salt, they can feel it shoot up) or does it take time?

• 2 weeks later...

An expert nephrologist told me that the idea that salt raises blood pressure is essentially being disproven- it's more complicated than perviously thought.

I only mention this because I have hyper pots (with high blood pressures) and still was told to increase my salt consumption. Salt does seem to help me retain fluid so I suspect that that is helpful. Increasing salt has not raised my blood pressure at all. I think it has lowered it only because when I retain more water its possible that my adrenals surges are lessened.

I was told to not drink more than 50% plain water. I salt my food when I remember also.

It not something I keep track of though.

I've been advised by my cardiologist and internist to take in at least 6 grams of salt every day - when I slack off, I notice a difference. When I consume too much, I get puffy all over - I don't measure or count grams, I just use my body to tell me if I am on target or not.....