Heat And Digestive Issues

Machair

Heat is a major relapse trigger for me, and one of the things I have struggled with for 17 years is that sitting upright, especially in hot places, causes rushes of adrenaline, palpitations, and sadly an urge to visit the bathroom, as it causes loose bowels, or worse still diarrhea. I also get it in shops if I am standing looking at things so I know it is orthostatic intolerance.

The problem is that if I get well enough to go out with friends for a meal, which I can do very infrequently, this issue is very difficult to cope with as no one want to eat a meal with a person who is running back and forth to the toilet. I know it is orthostatic, because if I eat the same meal in a cool place, without having to also make conversation, it doesn't happen.

Has anyone experienced this and do you have any ideas to cope with it? I have tried taking anti diarrhea meds before going out and this does help- then I only get the palpitations and know it won't affect the gut which gives me peace of mind, especially if I am going to be a wedding for example. Heat makes the issue so much worse. Anyone else got this and has any medication helped with this?

Yes, but it comes along with the other symptoms of a flare, not just heat alone.

For example, eating white processed flour, and then overheating a bit, and then major problems.

Im currently living in Ohio and was doing very very good before this heat wave hit in June.

Before then, it was unusually cold and I was humming along fine except for the local propensity to

blast natural gas heating in buildings.

So now instead of avoiding being inside im basically trapped inside

Here is a blog post from someone with Dysautonomia about heat intolerance: http://jillinoisrn.com/2013/02/05/another-season-of-dysautonomia. Make sure to check out the comments as well.

Thank you so much for that Jackie - it is appreciated so much :)