Splenic Pooling? Pooling In Legs? How Do You Know??

I have read many references about people with blood pooling in their legs or their spleen, but I have yet to read how people know this is what happens to them. Does your doctor somehow diagnose splenic pooling or is it something that you know happens because of your own observations? What are the symptoms and signs?

I don't have any idea why I get so much pre-syncope or where my blood 'goes', so I'm curious about this aspect. :) Is trialing compression garments the best way to figure it all out?

I have an echo and a first TTT coming up next week, and I'm sure my mind is spinning with too many questions (like is it really worth it to do all these tests?). So thanks for indulging me on this!!

Thanks!

- Michelle

If my son sits up for more than 30 minutes, then his feet, ankles, and legs start pooling. They turn a bright red/bluish color. He also started pooling in his hands about 2 months ago. The occupational therapist noticed this and gave him compression gloves to wear at night. No more pooling in hands now. I will be talking to my son's cardiologist about compression clothing because I'm really not sure what to buy. Good luck with your test. My son has went through 2 tilt table test. Yes, the ttt is worth it. Get through your test first and then your doctor can probably give you a better ideal about what type of compression attire you may need.

do you mean splanchnic pooling? is that actually in the spleen?

I have a 10 inch increase in my abdomen during each day. it goes back down by morning. I have this I assume but no doctor has ever done an abdominal xray or anything on me.

Splanchnic pooling is occurring after meals in some POTS patients. Excessive pooling of blood in the abdomen has been shown to occur while the patient is supine and at rest (Tani, Singer, McPhee, Opfer-Gehrking, Haruma, Kajiyama & Low, 2000). The splanchnic vascular bed contains up to 30% of blood volume. Limited autonomic neuropathy causing peripheral denervation may be the cause of increased resting flow and reduced mesenteric resistance in these patients.

http://www.dinet.org/what_are_the_mechanisms_of_POTS.htm

found it. this makes sense. my distention is hard and looks like an 38 week pregnancy. When I'm not distended, I only have about 1/2 inch of fat/flab on top of my muscle. It actually hurts to suck it in or lie on my belly, but I have no internal pain or digestive symptoms. I think all my organs pool and swell with any intake of any amount of fluid or food.

splanch·nic

/ˈsplaNGknik/

Adjective

Of or relating to the viscera or internal organs, esp. those of the abdomen.

Synonyms

visceral - intestinal

AH, thanks so much!!! I wondered how all the blood pooled in the spleen! LOL And how the heck anyone would know... Thank you also for the info about how it physically looks to have that.

The only thing I can notice on myself is distention of the veins in my arms and feet at times, but no signs that I can tell of pooling (no redness, edema, etc.).

So I guess I'm neither splanchic nor splenicly pooling. :)